Linux at NASA: JPL

Ixthusdan

In the latest newsletter, Mandriva made note that they are being used at NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, California. It's a fluff article, but I am particularly interested in what it said in the latter half of the article. Mandriva thinks this article is complimentary to Mandriva and linux.

-they have to make their own drivers because Mandriva is not tested enough

-they think linux is only for the desktop. Solaris is thier server

-and then they are concerned about the ability of the installer to detect new hardware

-they then claim to be concerned about quick installa so they can spend their time customizing desktops

-a short blurb says that "windows has this problem, too"

-the article also says that solaris and mac only run on a smaller set of hardware and really don't have the challenges of linux

So, is this really a positive article about Mandriva or is it a masked attempt to look at the evil linux problem? :lol:

If you read between the lines, why is the lab really not using windows everywhere?

I see 2 points: customizability and cost! They try to recover by claiming Mandriva is expernsive but worth it, just in case Billy will give them another edition of windows! That's my opinion.

How many guys/gals does it take to make an Open Source driver? One, if they know what they are doing! I see some fuzzy answers in the article. The implication is that an IT team must work on Mandriva to make it work. Actually, for 7.1, it did take a team to make it work! 7.2 was very stable. 7.1 was touch and go.

What do you think about the article?