Can't Boot [solved]

lakelover

I hope somebody can help because my computer just spit at me. It's been running perfectly. Went over to XP, then back to Mandriva 2006, and here's what I got:

"X keboard keymap compliler outpub file "/var/temp/server/-o, xkm removed. Could not init font path element unix /:-1, removing from list.

Fatal server error. Could not open default font "fixed"

X10 fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer on) xserver ":o.o

I have no idea what all that means. Can anybody help?

Also, I've been getting "nfs locking failed" on every shutdown.

Jerry

NFS locking always fails on shut down. I solved it by:

urpme nfs-utils-clients

of course, this removes it from the system, so only do this if not using NFS.

For your X issue, I would suggest running mcc at the prompt and reconfiguring your graphics card, or you can reconfigure X with xorgcfg at the prompt. Or, xorgcfg -textmode to save loading the GUI to configure it.

Thanks for the suggested fix. I tried them but didn't get anywhere and I think there may be a couple of causes. I went to http://wiki.x.org site and it says the error indicates that one or more of the font servers is no responding and that the "xfs server" is buggy. They advise loading the fonts directly and give serveral lines to add to the "files" section of xorg.conf file. Well, I tried with VIM and emacs but I'm so unfamiliar with both that I couldn't get the job done.

I apparently have another BIG problem. One of the messages on loading 2006 is to make sure there's enough disk space. So, I went to windows and with PartitionMagic looked at the partitions and it said all particitions, except the swap was full. But I know they're not because when I go to Windows system info, it says there are over 7 gigibytes free on the Win partition but I couldn't resize anything. Then I discovered on the MS web site that my version of PartitionMagic 6, has issues with ntfs files. So, I've order version 8, which is supposed to handle ntfs files.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get back into Man-2006 without loosing my stuff.

Jerry

Here's an update. I got PartitionMagic v-8, today, and found that my ext 3, partition was full. So, I resized the xp partition giving the free space to ext3, and now all is well. I have only a 30g hd, though I thought that should be adequate because I don't have huge photo files and no music files. I guessed wrong.

Jerry