resolution [solved]

Guest jessevsm

Guest jessevsm

I don't know if this is the appropriate area to ask this, but I couldn't find a better place right now. I have a question though. I'm trying to get it to have the resolution on the monitor at 1024x768, and it displays it. But it's not all in my viewable screen. To get to the rest of the screen, I have to move my mouse and it basically scrolls over to the rest of the screen. But I've found it rather annoying as I want to see everything at one time and not have to move my mouse all over the place to view things. I'm very new to Linux and I'm more or less clueless on most things, so any ideas on how to fix this would be helpful. I know a fair amount about Windows, as that's what I've always used, but Linux to me right now is making me feel like a complete newb again.

Are you referring to the actual sreen itself or the fact that you have to scroll over in programs like Firefox? If it is the screen itself, try adjusting the refresh rate. I've had the same problem before where the screen was off to the side of the monitor. A different refresh rate usually solves this problem.

Guest jessevsm

Alright. Now that brings me to a second question. I'm pretty sure that the problem you confirmed is the one that I'm having. But I can't seem to change the refresh rate...it's at 60 right now, but it's not giving me any options to do that. And I can't figure out how to change the monitor or graphics card settings. I went to the Configure Display options, but again, it's not letting me go past the resolution of 1024x768 and 60 Hz

Open a console and run this:

$ su

<enter root password>

# XFdrake

A window will pop up, XFdrake, which is the mandriva graphics config utility. You can reset your monitor, graphics card, resolution, color depth, etc, there and test the changes you've made to see if they work before commiting to the changes. The problem you are having is usually caused by the monitor selection not being right.

Guest jessevsm

Okay. I did that. Now, I have the correct monitor chosen, but it's still having the same problem. where everything is off the screen and I have to move my mouse to the edges to scroll over and see what it is. Maybe it's because I have the wrong graphics card chosen? I have a GeForce FX 5200 PCI, and I just chose one of the GeForce FX drivers that I could choose from because I couldn't find one for mine specifically. So, I really don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

Guest jessevsm

Whoops. I messed up. I realized what I did wrong. It didn't keep the effects because I didn't press exit on the graphics menu. But now that I've restarted and everything, I have a new problem. It's not loading to the normal Linux OS or something. It just gives me a command prompt where I enter my login name and password like what I did to look at the graphics options, but I can't figure out how to load up to the Linux OS now...

Locate Section "Monitor" in xorg.conf. Mine looks like this:

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "monitor1"

VendorName "Plug'n Play"

ModelName "NEC FE2111SB"

HorizSync 30-115

VertRefresh 50-160

DisplaySize 401 302

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.

# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync

ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync

ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616

EndSection

Insure that your monitor specs for HorizSync and VertRefresh fall within the ranges specified. Add the DisplaySize line with the monitor viewable screen measured in mm.

Hope this helps.

Whoops. I messed up. I realized what I did wrong. It didn't keep the effects because I didn't press exit on the graphics menu. But now that I've restarted and everything, I have a new problem. It's not loading to the normal Linux OS or something. It just gives me a command prompt where I enter my login name and password like what I did to look at the graphics options, but I can't figure out how to load up to the Linux OS now...

The OS is loaded, just not X Window. At the command prompt type startx and you should be able to load your gui.

Guest jessevsm

well, it seems to be better now. It's not doing what it was. It's now all in the same window. But of course, now another question is popping up in my head. It still isn't allowing me to select the resolution I want. My monitor and graphics card can go into a higher resolution. Right now, it's on 1024x768. Perhaps I should try and install the driver for my specific vid card instead of the generic GeForce FX one? And one more thing...how do I get to whatever the xorg.conf is?

well, it seems to be better now. It's not doing what it was. It's now all in the same window. But of course, now another question is popping up in my head. It still isn't allowing me to select the resolution I want. My monitor and graphics card can go into a higher resolution. Right now, it's on 1024x768. Perhaps I should try and install the driver for my specific vid card instead of the generic GeForce FX one? And one more thing...how do I get to whatever the xorg.conf is?

Since it all works except resolution, I doubt you need a different driver. Unless of course you want to use some specific features of your card which are not supported by the generec driver. Most likely, you need to specify modes which you want to use. This is how do that.

If you have changed inittab as I suggested, go back and change it back again to initdefault level 3. Next, while you are root, open /etc/X11/xor.conf in an editior, and locate the section that looks like this

Subsection "Display"
       Depth       24
       Virtual     1024 768
   EndSubsection

Change it to

Subsection "Display"
       Depth       24
       Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" 
       ViewPort    0 0  # initial origin if mode is smaller than desktop
#        Virtual     1024 768
   EndSubsection

You can add more modes to the list, such as "1400x1050" or "1152x864" whatever your hardware supports. Save, quit root, and start or restart X. If the resolution is not correct, you chan switch to other resolution from the list by pressing [CTRL]+[Alt]+[Numkey +] or [CTRL]+[Alt]+[Numkey -].

Guest jessevsm

Just a small question. How exactly do I open the xorg.conf or etc/X11/xor.conf. I'm not used to having to open things in the editor...I'm used to opening directories in Windows, so frankly I have no idea how to do that.

Guest jessevsm

Hmm....it seems that I may have found the answer. Maybe not in the same way. But I found out that I can choose a higher resolution when I go into the console type in $ SU then the password and then #XFdrake like what was suggested earlier on in the thread.