Open Source Research

Ixthusdan

This article on ZDnet says that the US Government is researching the claims of pen Source, Microsoft, and security. Is this a good or bad thing? In other words, is this another Microsoft move rather than a serious effort for facts? What do you think?

the article makes good points. if a commercial vendor commissions a study and the results don't favor it, we never hear about it. but i think it is good for these studies to go on.

i don't mind paying for a better product (if there is one and i need it badly). if there is an open source program that does just as well or better, more power! but, if not, i don't mind getting what i need.

if the govt. is using insecure software, they need to know about it and i want them to find out. same for other business which have my social, credit card numbers, etc. i want their security.

since the govt. is commissioning it, assuming the commerical groups are honest, the results are actually useful. if the groups are honest (no self-interests) and the report remains objective then people will know what is right. if the open-source software is the best, then these commercial companies can bump up their product. if no, then the same goes for the open-source. just at a slower rate.

1) I was interested that ZDNet actually stated an opinion that would not be favorable toward Microsoft.

2) The article generally still maintains the absurd notion that "open Source" is insecure. The truth is that open source is more secure than windows but nothing on the planet is secure. We could all be forced to only use one os, but then, that is marketing and business, not security!

3) I do not doubt a variety of competing businesses. I strongly doubt the ability of any government, including my own, to find the truth under these sorts of circumstances.

4) Even government reports get buried if they do not promote the right agenda. In the US, this has been going on since the mid 1960's.

5) Unfortunately, I do not offer any decent alternatives to cimbating the Microsoft FUD. Money talks in the marketing culture. Money makes "truth".

I think its all in the interpretation....

You can read opensource found 1000 bugs last year and MS only 100 as good for MS but in reality it measn opensource found and corrected 1000 bugs last year.

If the people interpreting this are pro-MS they will see it as a boon for MS .. if they are pro opensource then visa versa ... the classic is peope complaining that linux doesn't have a way to secure directX or similar what I call the 'our tylenol doesn't give you cancer ad way'