Wine and Yahoo Messenger

I'm back heh, wondering how this wine stuff works??? I hear you can get yahoo messenger with all its features if you download the windows version and have wine?? If anyone knows how to do that please do tell, I'd like to get my cam going and well the linux yahoo messenger is pretty outdated and i don't care for the whole gyach thing.. thanks :D

Bonnie

• 2 weeks later...

hi. there are people who can better answer this question, but no one's given you a response, so i'll try!

i presume you're using mandriva. would go to the easy-urpmi link at the top of this page and set up urpmi to use sources other than the discs. then as su (type su and then enter the root passwd when prompted) type urpmi wine. from here mandriva should install wine well for you.

if all goes as planned, then you can go to the yahoo website and download their messenger. theere should be a .wine directory created in your home directory. try to run wine and i believe it makes several configuration scripts. then try to install the messenger. it should get all you neeed.

at least this worked for me recently with webbrowsers, and a few other things.

good luck!

Currently using the latest (0.95), and it's really great!

I've configured it the easy way using Winetools, and everything went fine (leaving aside missing menus and icons, which can be easily added manually. The other easy way (actually easier than winetools, although it has no GUI), at http://sidenet.ddo.jp/winetips/ also works fine, and creates all menus and shortcuts winetools forget to make using 0.95, but it leaves you to do the rest quite a bit before winetools is run out of ideas and suggestions...

Don't expect miracles with DirectX games and complex applications (although a few very complex ones run with just a few minor glitches), but some windows stuff does run flwalessly and at almost native speeds.

Yahoo messenger is not officially supported, and winetools have it in the list of supported winapps, either.

It's also a pile of crap, but that does not mean it won't be emulated quasi-decently... just try it. I won't promise anyhthing as if you cared to browse the wine comaptibility database, here, you could see that the chances to get it running are wafer thin.

Linux has a couple of native Yahoo IM's, you'd better give them a try instead... One of them (the most obvious one) is Kopete, which is a splendid multi-IM client, also supporting video currently.

Edited by scarecrow