Norton Ghost backup [solved]

jaraeez

Hi all, I normally use ghost to backup my 2005 LE & when needed I reinstall the backup do a quick rescue, reinstall bootloader & away I go. I have since upgraded KDE to 3.5 along with other bits & bobs that needed it including the kernel. So this time I go to re-install the bootloader & I get an error something like

Echo | lilo with root /mnt
run_program cannot output in /root/tmp/.drakx-stderr.1188 (Mode '>')
lilo failed: at /usr/lib/libDrakX/bootloader.pm line 1239 <SRDIN> line 1

then something about

mandriva-release

Any ideas how I can get back lilo to run & fix the bootloader?

TIA

Edit: OK I manage to figure out that if I boot off the Mandriva > rescue, then mount /mnt, then chroot /mnt, then run lilo all is well... :D

Edited by jaraeez

• 2 months later...

Was just wondering what version of Norton Ghost you used to back up your Driva box?

thnx

Was just wondering what version of Norton Ghost you used to back up your Driva box?

thnx

Sorry about such a delay (im away at the mo') anyway I use the corperate ghost 9 (off the top of my head). I have it installed on a Win 2003 sp1 DC. My Mandriva box is wireless but for this I use the inbulit nic. I then have created a ghost boot disk (which incidentally managed to get working from a boot cd - so much quicker) Then from there really is plain sailing. Once the image is complete I have the added bounus that I can open the image on the Win 2003 server & pick away at whatever file i need. Just as easy is the re-install of a backup. The only thing I need do after the backup is re-run lilo... very simple (for me) & convienient at the same time

:D

nice corporate eh? cool will check it out and let you know.

Was wondering if I could get you to help me to create that boot disk.

I have an earlier version where I couldn't use it because I was having issues with my Nic drivers being added to the parameters so that it could boot up with network support. When I get home I will dig the ol treasure trove of cd appz I got and try to find it, but since you recommend the corp 9 I will see if I can get it and try it out first.

Thnx for the info!

Cheers!

BTW: what part of the UK you in...planning on going there in june to relax and check out the world cup.

First time trip so I am totally looking forward to it.

Was wondering if I could get you to help me to create that boot disk.

with great difficulty.. :) from what I can remember I used Winimage. Ghost creates a bootdisc (server side) then used Winimage to inject the second disc, to create a 2.88 floppy image ( I think google will be your friend here ;) then used Nero to create a bootdisc..

BTW: what part of the UK you in...planning on going there in june to relax and check out the world cup.

First time trip so I am totally looking forward to it.

Im from Manchester (Rain heaven!!) - a little confused here! your coming to the UK to watch the World cup which is being held in Germany! Anyway good luck...

yeah coming over there to see some friends and vibe...maybe check out Amsterdam and some of your pubs and mingle with them blokes, lol.

Yeah gonna be there during the world cup and drink alot. although I am told that I should not let ppl know that I can speak french in case they mistake me for a France bloke and cause a riot, lol

Not sure yet if I will be on a 2 week or just 1 week vac but really looking forward to it since I have yet to travel off this continent here...

Edited by gem-in-eyez

Oh the area I should be in is Glouchester shire I believe. Not 100% sure but I think that is where they hhave their house.

Supposed to also see some tours like the krays twins, and JTR, including the tower, the palace the huge Museam you guys have and maybe get a pic or 2 with me and those palace guards going at it!! lol

Oh the area I should be in is Glouchester shire I believe. Not 100% sure but I think that is where they hhave their house.

Supposed to also see some tours like the krays twins, and JTR, including the tower, the palace the huge Museam you guys have and maybe get a pic or 2 with me and those palace guards going at it!! lol

lol... well I hope you enjoy your stay in our very GREEN country. As for drink - no problem, practically a pub on every corner & I believe (not a drinker myself - more Amsterdam if you know what I mean!) that the law has changed now & pubs theoretically can open 24/7. Yeah London is a busy City which I'm sure will entertain all your needs but if you can you should try to visit Scotland & Wales which both are beautiful Countries in their own rights..