Speedtouch Modem - need help

Guest Spum

Hi there, i looked on the Mandriva Linux compatibility list, and saw that they had Speedtouch USB ADSL modem which was supported. So, i was installing Mandriva and it recognised the modem was connected, and it got the name exactly right. NOW - when it found it, it asked me where the firmware was, but i didn't have it at that moment in time, so i clicked "Install later", and then finished the Mandriva installation.

Now, it asked for mgmt.o, or the sys file, both of which i have supplied. I have tried the linux-usb.org tutorial, i've tried the ones on this forum, i've tried help from people on freenode, i've tried manually installing it myself, i've tried EVERYTHING and this stupid modem WILL NOT WORK.

At the end of my string, i ran speedtouch-init start, and amazingly, it failed there, saying "/sbin/modprobe NOT FOUND". seriously, i have tried EVERY SINGLE THING POSSIBLE to make this modem work, and when i went on the speedtouchconf website, the guy had said Mandriva has tried and failed to support the modem.

Please, please someone help me fix this.. It's WORSE than torture;

* The ISP requires me to dial up using PPPoE to the number 000000

* My ISP is based in the UK.

* I hope that this modem works.

* I am not downloading powerpack (2gb) for a 300kb file.

Edited by Spum

There is a web page on this from a person called steve ??

I have forgotten I will look it up for you and give you more information as soon as possible but if you follow his pages you will get it working..

found it for you..

http://steve-parker.org/speedtouchconf/

I had to make a modification in one of the files for it to work every time on reboot.. but should work for you..

If you cant seem to get it to work give me a yell again..

And i will walk you through it if you need...

Guest zaziork
found it for you..

http://steve-parker.org/speedtouchconf/

I had to make a modification in one of the files for it to work every time on reboot.. but should work for you..

If you cant seem to get it to work give me a yell again..

Hi,

Would you mind doing the walk through thing for me?

I've been trying to get this damn ting working for the past 3 days and am at the end of my tether! I've tried everything mentioned in forums from here to kingdom come (I was previously using Fedora Core 4 and thought I'd give Mandriva a try for this very reason).

I tried the Steve Parker script, but it came back with something about a broken pipe? The pipe's not going to be the only thing broken if it carries on like this... ;-)

Thanks in advance,

Dan