Post 10.1 - to - 2006 upgrade, cdrom drive issue

Guest toes

Hi all. Coming up blank on searches for this problem.

I upgraded from 10.1 Official to 2006 Free a couple of days ago and there has been a persistent problem with the cdrom drive. Actually, it's a cd/dvd rw, but the issue seems to be with cds.

First noticed when logging into Gnome. The splash screen hangs at the CD stage, which I assume is initialization. Sits there for perhaps as long as 3 minutes before it disappears.

Logging into KDE, the splash screen hurries on by as normal. But afterward, I receive the message "CDROM read or access error (or no audio disc in the drive). Please make sure you have access permissions to: /dev/cdrom". This same error pops up attempting to use kscd in Gnome, too.

Further, audio CDs will not play using KSCD or the gnome cd player. Data discs still work, and DVDs still work.

Relevant line from fstab:

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,noauto,ro 0 0

Permissions were different on /dev/hdc and /mnt/cdrom, so I changed them to match (all read, write, exec). Still no change.

Perhaps relevant: While rebuilding after a recent frag, my permissions were all screwy. Everything ended up having root-only permsissions. To "fix" this, I just changed the users' home directories recursively to their permission level and left all other files unchanged. Not sure where else to check to see if this might be my problem, though.

And, since I didn't mention it earlier, yes, everything did work fine under 10.1, so it seems to be upgrade-related.

Any help is appreciated.

Upgrades have been impossible to problematic in the past. An upgrade from 2005le to 2006 seemed to have worked, which was the first time since 7.0 that I have had success with it. I suggest a clean install.

I haven't done a clean install of anything since 2001 (except for starting Mandy last year), and don't plan to break the streak now. I prefer to solve the problem. More interesting, though more difficult, that way. :screwy:

More power to you! Mandriva upgrades frequently present entire reconstruction scenerios. "Repairs" in the past have entailed reinstalling large sections of program when depends are included.

Permission problems on /dev and /mnt should not occur unless the folder in /mnt was created by you rather than the installation process. Even then, root should be the only user making folders in /mnt. Perhaps you played with something to create this?? :lol:

Thanks for the note about upgrades. I would think the devs would place a bit more emphasis on the upgrade process since they do push their product commercially.

I re-checked the permissions on /mnt and it is owned by root/root, write-restricted for group and others. Read and execute are allowed for all.

For the subdirectories, I removed a recent mystery addition of /floppy2, and removed a test mount that I had set up and forgot to delete after testing. That left only /win_c, /win_d, /win_e, /floppy, and /cdrom. These are all owned by root/root, and have permissions of rwx for all.

I'll play around with the /mnt/cdrom permsisisons and see what happens.

By the way, before last logout, I clicked the "Save current setup" checkbox and this time logging in the cdrom hang wasn't there. I'll also play around and try to see what's happeneing there.

In addtion to introducing many visible changes such as new versions of KDE/Gnome, Mandriva has also abandoned devfs in favour of half-baked udev. I think that happened during the transition from MDK to MDV. I learned about that hard way - after I upgraded from 10.1 to LE2005 my DVD multiburner stopped mounting properly. I can't remember the exact nature of the problem, you can search this forum as I was asking questions about that. I do remember that every time I was putting a CD in the tray, and a new device was created and added to /etc/fstab. I fixed the problem by disabling udev and switching over to supermount. It well could be that you're facing a similar problem. I second Ix, clean install should be your best option. But if you like to have some fun, poke around supermount (MCC -> Hardware -> CDROM -> configure device or just edit /etc/fstab & play with mknode).