glibc/firefox problem [solved]

Guest Nightwind

Guest Nightwind

im kinda new to linux, but i have some basic knowlage,

anyway till now ive been using rpm's to install things, but now im stuck with a tarball [is that the correct use of that term?] and i cant get it to work, i un-tar the file, but then i cant seem to install it.

i read the faq and i re d/led the file and followed the steps from the beginning, but i cant get that ./configure to work, i "cd" the folder and type, "./configure" and it says the there is no such file or directory, then [and i assume it because of ./configure not working] "make" and "make install" dont work ether

any help?

[im using mandriva 2006 rc2]

Edited by Nightwind

im kinda new to linux, but i have some basic knowlage,

anyway till now ive been using rpm's to install things, but now im stuck with a tarball [is that the correct use of that term?] and i cant get it to work, i un-tar the file, but then i cant seem to install it.

i read the faq and i re d/led the file and followed the steps from the beginning, but i cant get that ./configure to work, i "cd" the folder and type, "./configure" and it says the there is no such file or directory, then [and i assume it because of ./configure not working] "make" and "make install" dont work ether

any help?

[im using mandriva 2006 rc2]

Did you read the "README" file after untarring? The "README" file contains installation instructions. Not all tarballs require ./configure, make, make install. Some just require you to ./filename or do a sh filename .sh to run the application.

If I'm missing something here, someone please go ahead and elaborate, as it is very late and I am sleepy and may not be explaining this as well as I should.

Guest Nightwind

ya i read the readme, back when i 1st un-tard it and i was alittle perturbed to find nothing of revelence to installation

now i dont kno but it seems to me that if ./configure was the problem, then i would be getting some kind of installation failure error, what i get is "the directory ./configure doesnt exist" error, like it thinks that by ./configure i mean a folder [like /root for example], to me the problem most likly lies around my inexperience, im like just using it wrong [somehow]

tho dispite my best efforts i cant figure it out

[i would also like to point that i tried many times and i did not forget he peroid in "./configure"]

Edited by Nightwind

You have to be in the folder that you untarred when you give the ./configure command. You wont get an installation error when you run this script: it only checks if you have all the software installed that you need to build the program. After ./configure ends without errors type: make (this will build the program) and as root type: make install (this will install the program).

Some programs dont use ./configure (for example xmame) so doublecheck if their is a configure script in the tar.

Guest Nightwind

still cant seem to get ./configure to work, so i tried ./filename

and i got this, what does it mean?

./firefox
*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (out): 0x08c88638 ***
./run-mozilla.sh: line 131:  6666 Aborted                 (core dumped) "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

and i got more or less the same thing with sh filename

Edited by Nightwind

Guest Nightwind

tried and still nothing, i have all the dependencies, ive re-d/led and un-tard it several times, and still nothing, maybe i have to update stuff, what programs are involved in un-taring?

Guest Nightwind

okay ive solved the problem, not offence but you people didnt seem to understand the problem very well, so i when looking else where and i discoverd the problem[a few hours later] lies in firefox 1.5s programming and in glibc's error handling,

*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (out): 0x08c88638 ***

means that you dont have all dependencies but even when you get then all it wont work

______

*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0×08ca5b50 ***

[that last bit dont matter]

means that every thing is working, but theres some minor mistake in the code and glibc wont let it run

______

this problem occures with more then just fire fox, it can also happen in other programs [like realplayer gold]

this problem can be fixed buy adding this to the code of what ever your trying to run, on the 1st line, or the 2nd if it starts with something like /bin/sh

export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim