Motorola Surfboard SB5101

Guest Avance

Hi,

I currently use Mandrake 10.1, well up until recently when I moved and changed ISps. My new ISP is blueyonder (UK). They provided a Motorola Surfboard SB5101 USB Cable Modem. Problem is I have had no luck setting this up and can't seem to find anything here or in google. Any suggestions or possibly anyone configured one of thse before?

Thanks,

Avance

Tell your ISP you need an ethernet modem; they may have some available if you ask. It's a nobrainer to setup in linux. I know the older motorola surfboards(4100) use to have the option for either usb or ethernet connectivity. If your ISP can get you an ethernet modem, that would be easiest.

You could also try upgrading to LE2005 or 2006 as they would be more likely to have support for a usb broadband modem.

I'm with Blueyonder and have an older modem that is ethernet and it works a treat - they may still have some available.

One thing to watch though it sthat, if they find out you want it for Linux, they may just try and fob you off with a "we don't support linux" statement. Be pushy and let them know that you don't want Linux support just an ethernet modem.

A lot seems to depend on the quality of the helpdesk person you get...