openoffice.org2 and its toolbars

lawsonrc

I've noticed in Ooo2 that the function and object toolbars are now called "Standard" and "Formatting" as they are called in MSOffice, Wordperfect, and Lotus Smartsuite.

However, the "Main Toolbar" is missing. It was the vertical toolbar on the left side which contained so many features. Has it been dropped completely, or is this toolbar hidden.? It's really a pain to go the View>Toolbars>....to get each feature separately.

Also, in prior versions, one could open up the Navigator and lock it as a sidebar on the right side by moving it to that right while holding the CTRL button down as you moved it. Then you could click on an arrow on this sidebar to open or hide it. Is this feature also gone???

Does anyone know how to use these features in 2.0, or have they been dropped? If they have been dropped, is there a link to another website someone might have that explains why the features above have been dropped?

Many thanks,

Richard L.

seems that it is splitted into different toolbars, but you can still activate them and put them on the side (toolbars can be arranged on all sides of the window in OO2)

Navigator can be arranged as you want just by dragging it to the right of the main window, there it will snap to the border, you can hide this sidebar by clicking the navigator button in the standard toolbar

Thanks lavaeolus,

1. I, too had already noticed that the features of different toolbars were "split", as I had stated in my topic when saying "t's really a pain to go the View>Toolbars>....to get each feature separately." This is an okay option, but takes longer and is far less efficient. Going to menus to get to everything harps back to word processors in the 1980's, yet so many office suites/word processors since the late '90's have added other more efficient features to get things done by avoiding the menus.

2. I just can't understand why they would take away a feature that is much more quick and efficient than going to the menus at the top to get to each of what is now a separate toolbar.

3. I was finally able to get both the Navigator and Styles and Formatting (formerly called Stylist) to snap to the right side of the window. A quicker way to show and hide them instead of using the buttons in the standard toolbar is to click in the middle of the edge where you see a vew dots that have tiny arrows on each end. (When I installed Ooo2 onto SuSE9.3 from CD that I had burnt, I was able to do it, then I retried in MDV2006)

4. Does anyone know of another forum which discusses the "Main Toolbar" feature that has been left out?

Many thanks,

Richard L.