mounting through samba?

Guest msp

Is it possible to auto mount a folder in linux as a drive in windows. I have the folder /home/shared accessible by two users (through samba) and I have mounted the folder as drive Y: in windows so it is easier to access, but can this be done when configuring samba rather than the windows way? if so how?

I think, the easiest way to do it ( mounting ) is the way you mount it in your windows box... you can set it to be mounted the next time the windows computer boot .

well, the way you want it, I have not tried it on a stand alone ( simple sharing) samba configuration, but I have tried it when samba act as a Primary Domain Controller, since the home of each user (on windows) on these setup (PDC) actually resides on samba server... and its just being mounted on windows when a user has log-on... but the setup is more complicated than a regular stand-alone samba server

you might find something similar to what you want here.

http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/

Edited by aioshin

Guest chesneysteve

The easiest way is to check the "reconnect at login" checkbox on your windows machine when you connect to the share for the 1st time. However sometimes for reasons which I've never understood this doesn't work. If this is the case access the windows command line (dos box) and set the share up maually e.g.

net use s: \\mylinuxbox\mysharename /persistent

This will always connect the s: drive to your samba share when the windows box boots.