Reinstalling MDK 9.0.

Pepse

Well, since nobody has a clue as to how to recover from my problem I figure it would be a good idea to re-do Linux. Unless I did something wrong about 6 weeks ago (I redid Linux and ended up losing everything) is it possible to save everyhting on my "/Home" partition?? I know with MDK 8.1 I was able to but when I did this with 9.0 I lost everyhting. Right now I'm running 9.0 on a little 4.3Gig hdd and would like to get back to the comfort of my 30Gig.

Later. Pepse.

Just wondering; if you reinstall wouldent it be wise to get rid of all the user settings in your home directory i.e. the .kde, .gnome etc etc. I always keep the downloads, documents and everything i want to keep in a separate dir under home/hea so that its easy to wipe away all the old settings. I did a reinstall once keeping my homedir intact just to discover that the original problem was still present. Just wondering...

unless you know the settings in your home dir are the problem, it's good to keep them. if you re-install and the problem persists, then try manually removing the files containing settings for the program that is causing the issues.

usually it's pretty obvious, as they are something like .<name or program> and the like.

First of all unless something changed between 8.1 and 9.0 I realize that I should be able to do a re-install on "/" only, but obviously something went awry when I did it a few weeks ago; I might have missed unchecking "/home" or..........? I just wanted to ask to make sure that the error was mine and not MDK's. As for "Expert", that's all I've ever used when I started with Linux; can't learn much in "Default" mode. I am pretty sure that just re-doing "/" will cure my problem. If intrested I could post a link to another Linux board where I posted. On that board most everything of that Nightmare came back to me. But I've had no replies so I figure it is too deep a problem to cure.

Thanx. Later. Pepse.

:shock: YUK!!!! Well, I can only suggest 3 things....

1.Boot off of CD1 > Hit F1 > Type rescue > Select Console from the menu >Type chroot /mnt. Now you should be in your linux file system. Try to navigate to modules.conf and see what's in it...post it here and see if we can figure out what's wrong/missing. I've only had to chroot /mnt twice and I haven't figured out the method to the madness on navigating from there...but it's kinda tricky...unless I'm missing something obvious.

2. Do an Upgrade, not Update packages only, or Install. Boot to CD1 > Hit F1 > Type expert > and when asked, choose Upgrade. This will take you through the entire install configuring your video, bootloader, everything. What exactly it does as far as your current pkgs I don't know exactly, but at least most of your preferences will be untouched because they're in your ~ dir.

3. Reinstall :cry: /expert... so not to loose /home.

bvc, I will go with No.1 for now. I realized during my recent hacking "mc" reminds me of an ooooold dos program I had for a 80286 computer called PCTools Deluxe. Also, this stuff reminds me of being in "autoexec.bat" and "config.sys". Basically this is bringing back alot of memories from my dos days so it is a little easier to work with now that I've been hacking it. Anyway, I will stop now so I can get the results from "chroot /mnt" & (hopefully) "modules.conf".

Later. Pepse.

Well, I decided to re-install MDK and when I clicked on "upgrade" I ended up with an error of: an error occurred rebuilding of rpm database failed . So, I decided to heck with it and just redid MDK and formatted hda "/". So, ina way everything came back. But for some reason my internet connection won't work. I even went thru MCC and redid the "connection wizard" and it still don't work. So, being that I had this problem before I went to a console and logged in and typed "net_monitor" and here I am. Strange tho, the last time I had this problem was with an external modem and cured the problem by going to an internal "full" modem. Anyway, unless somebody has an idea of this problem I'll just go and reinstall my Xine software and nVidia software and then the one that killed me "Creative SoundBlaster" software and the other things I need to download.

Later. Pepse.