samba folder sharing [solved]

Guest msp

I have samba set up so 2 users can logon through windows and have access to their own files etc. I want an a folder where shared files can be accessed.

I have no GUI on my Mandriva 2005 just a command line, so will i have to edit the smb.conf file (end part)? What else will i need to do?

Thanks for the reply!

I've added both users to the smbpasswd file.

The directory that is to be shared, where does this have to be located? and how do you change its sharing permissions? is it chmod 755?

You can put the directory where you wish. Remembering the file system tree structure you may want a separate shared directory under /. You also may want it under /home or in a particular user's directory. One thing to remember if it falls into the / partition and you re-install it will be lost when you reformat /. I have a separate partition for such things. As for permisssions you may want 666 so that nothing is executable, but it all dpends on what kinds of things you will have in there. Hope this helps.

Thanks alot that helped :)

I think 666 should be ok as its going to be used to store some files only.

I'm going to have the folder in the /home directory, but do i set this in the smb.conf file? (bottom part? path =/home)

So the only thing i need to do is create the folder in /home, change the permission of that folder and then change the smb.conf file? then the shared folder should show up in windows?

basically I'm a n00b and need sort of step by step instructions!........

Edited by msp

If it's /home/share (for instance) you set up the share as /home/share in smb.conf. You may not want to share all the subdirectories in /home, hence explicitly /home/share. If you configure samba from swat, as I have usually done, you can go to the shares menu and set up from there, setting who has read and write permissions, etc. Probably easier to do than to manually edit smb.conf.