ssh difficulty - connection refused

RVDowning

Having problems using ssh or vnc. Am using a DCHP modem and have tried to set it for port forwarding and also tried ip passthrough. In both cases I get a "connection refused" message when my machine is accessed via ssh.

There are no entries in hosts.allow or hosts.deny.

Could I be running a firewall and not be aware of it? This is a default installation of LE2005. (My buddy has a similar problem with his default installation of 2006.)

Not sure what to try next. Any help appreciated.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Is sshd installed and running? If not, see this: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_mandrake_10_2_p4

Somewhere in MCC, there is a firewall configuration (shorewall) menu item. You would need to open port 22 (default ssh port, or whichever port you're using).

You may need this line in /etc/hosts.allow:

sshd:<<ip address of allowed client machine>>:ALLOW

This has some tips on deterring ssh attacks: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=26097

Also: check all the various ssh and shorewall pages. The drakxtools documentation package also has good info on MCC configuration.

Edited by jboy

While on phone with DSL provider they suggested that a legitimate way to see if my ssh was set up right was to ssh username@my.ip.address. However that gave me the connection refused message.

Later, when I went over to my friends place to help him set up urpmi sources and configure various kde things, I tried to access my machine from his and ssh worked fine. So, it seems I do have the port forwarding set up right.

I thought that I could ssh into my own machine (from my own machine) using my ip address (instead of localhost) and that that would allow me to go out to the internet and back again, just to test my ssh. However, this doesn't seem to work the same way as localhost.

While on phone with DSL provider they suggested that a legitimate way to see if my ssh was set up right was to ssh username@my.ip.address. However that gave me the connection refused message.

Later, when I went over to my friends place to help him set up urpmi sources and configure various kde things, I tried to access my machine from his and ssh worked fine. So, it seems I do have the port forwarding set up right.

Most chances are that your DSL modem is actually a router and that it has some kind of firewall built-in, which disables port forwarding for requests coming "from within", or just blocks any request coming "from within" trying to address its "external" interface.

I thought that I could ssh into my own machine (from my own machine) using my ip address (instead of localhost) and that that would allow me to go out to the internet and back again, just to test my ssh. However, this doesn't seem to work the same way as localhost.

This wouldn't work by definition.