Packet Sniffer?

Guest Lin77

I was just curious if there's something that can read everything in a sent packet from a local machine. I'm really just trying to find out what all outgoing traffic is going to and monitor activity. Basically, I'll need something as comprehensive as possible to monitor outgoing traffic.

There is a packet sniffer called ethereal on one of the disks. If not on any of the first three, then it will be on contribs. You should be able to download it from a Mandrake mirror or find it with rpmfind or the new kid on the block rpmseek if you don't have Powerpack. It will require at least one dependency, libpcap, and maybe one other. Getting meaningful information from it is a daunting task but it has extremely thorough docs. There are literallly a hunded or so packet types described in detail so be judicious if you decide to print them. IIRC, the manual is in PDF form, but its been a while and I stopped printing before all of the packet descriptions were finished.

Counterspy

Guest LinuxExplorer

Works like a charm. I have to either restrict the packet size or remember to stop logging so as to not make the actual log too large now.

Edit: I've been monitoring the actual traffic and nothing suspicious seems to be happening. I wasn't so sure since I've been installing so many different software packages. Now I can sleep more soundly knowing I can see what's going on this end. :D