help, I cannot login as non-root user

Guest xutoa

i have mandrake 9.2 download edtion installed in vmware.

I found i can not login as a regular user.i mean root can login kde.

is it a bug?or...is it sth about KDE...vmware...?

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Never come across it and I've used VMware for many distros. Are you sure the user was created? Did you make sure that you chose the option in VMware that relates to the kernel under version 9? I think it's a 2.4 kernel in v9. Maybe choose "Other 2.4 kernel" instead of the Mandrake option, as I'm not sure if the "Mandrake" option is based on 2.6 kernel or not.

I've no idea how all these options work in VMware, I think they could relate to the type of hard VMware makes available for that distro/kernel.

thank u ianw1974;

I do have added users.they appears in the box which shows avaliable users before I login KDE.

and I can successfully login in console mode.and actually I can login after I first installed my linux. and the normal user is the default user that auto login in kde.

I do install my linux with 'Mandrake linux' option in vmware.I don't know if it's the problem.

So, are you saying you can log in with your normal users?

But you have a problem logging in as root? Root does not appear on the list of users to login to the GUI. This is because logging in as root is a security risk and not recommended.

Once you are in as a normal user, you can gain access to root privileges by opening a konsole and typing:

su (supply root password when prompted)

you now have root privileges until you type "exit".

That's not the fact.

I know root does not appear on the list.but my regular users do.I just want to tell your thoese users did successfully added.

after I put password and Enter.screen turn black.after a few seconds.still comes the login prompt.without any error words.

OK.

Try this. Press CTRL-ALT-F1 you will get a command line prompt.

Type the username, and then when prompted the password. Do you get logged in or does it fail?

If you do get in, then type "startx" at the prompt, and if you come back to the prompt, look for lines that say WW or EE at the beginning and post them here. If you get a problem about X is already running, then we need to change the runlevel. To do this, after you've logged in as whatever user, type this:

su (supply root password when prompted)
cd /etc
vi inittab

now we need to find the line that says:

id:5:initdefault:

press the "i" key, move the cursor to the number "5" and change this number to "3". Now press ":w" to save the file, and press ":q" to quit.

Type "reboot" and press enter to restart your system. It will now appear at the prompt, so you can then login as a user and type "startx".