VNC - Linux/Windows

ral

Have been using VNC for windows for some time... but can't seem to get it working between a Windows XP home machines and a RedHat Linux 8 machine.

From RH8 I see the XP destop and can manipulate it but from the Windows machine... sometimes I cant log onto the RH8 and when I do, I see a root desktop...even if the machine is currently loggod on under a user account. Also I can't control the linux desktop. Any help would be appriciated.

Hi ral

The way VNC works in Linux is different than in Windows. You can control a Windows desktop from a Linux machine without any problem (there is only 1 user and only 1 session). So when doing so, the user that sits in front of the windows machine can see what you are doing from your Linux machine. This is not true for the other way around. In Linux, as you probably already know, we have multiple users and multiple desktops (:0, :1, :2 …). So to start a user session, you have to start the VNC server while being the 'user'. And you CANNOT control the GUI. Ie, if you start the VNC server while being in :0, then you have to start the :1 session for remote access since the 'user' is already in :0 .

So here is an example:

I'm user X loged into KDE ( :0 ). I want to start VNC to remotely access my desktop from a Windows machine (or a MAC or another Linux machine). I have to open a console and type

#whoami

gd

#vncserver :1

Hope this help