Problems with mnt+konqueror+password+boot!!

Guest skip1

hey people,

i'm a complete newbie to mandrake and i'm having trouble trying to get mandrake to do what i want!! I've got Mandrake 9.0 running KDE 3

here we go...

Problem 1:

I cannot access my cd drives even though they are mounted. My floppy works fine. I don't have permission when logged in as myself, and I get some kind of read failure logged in as root.

Problem 2:

Konqueror freezes when I try to view /mnt (by clicking on /mnt on the directory tree). The window remains blank and i can't even close konqueror. I've never had this problem b4! However, if i type /mnt directly into the address bar it works! ?????

Problem 3:

How do I disable the password for my default user? The other day mandrake told me I had to change my password and wouldn't log me in until i had (root enforced). I tried looking around in root for somthing that would disable this, but no luck, so I now have to have a password (it sucks)

Problem 4:

Booting. How do I make windows load by default instead of linux? I tried editing lilo.conf and changed default=windows (instead of default=linux). This didn't work. Do i need to do something else?

and last but not least, graphics!!! None of the games shipped with mandrake work very well at all!! The graphics are slow and choppy. I have a decent card (nVidia GeForce2 AGP 64MB) and an ok cpu (1.8Ghz). The correct drivers are installed too. why oh why?!

phew!! my fingers ache! Sorry for posting such a massive thread.

Thanks in advance for anything you can come up with!!

Spec:

Win98se and Mandrake 9.0 dual boot (MDK has 10gb partition)

AMD Athlon XP 2200 1.8GHz

MSI KT3 Ultra2 Mobo 6380e

256mb DDR ram

Maxtor 40gb hd (boot)

Excelstor 10gb hd

Cd-rw (m)

Cd/dvd rom

Problem 1:

Sounds like an error in the way its setup. Try taking a look in /etc/fstab and posting the contents here.

Problem 2:

I think Konqueror tries to preload some things when you open a directory. If you having problems with your CD drive it could explain why its having problems opening mnt.

Problem 3:

You've probably set the security level quite high, so it prompts you to alter the passwords regulary. Lowering the level should stop this. I don't know if you can have no password at all, but you could try just not setting one in user drake. Alternatively you could set it to auto-login in the Control Centre.

Problem 4:

Its easier to do ths using Mandrake Control Centre. Open it up, and go to the boot section. Choose the option for the boot loader. You should then get a drop down list showing all the options you get at boot. Select the one you want as default, and hit the advanced button. All the options should be there.

Problem 5:

Did you remember t edit the X config file? Otherwise the xsever won't use them.

my etc/fstab is...

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdd,fs=auto,ro,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/win_c2 vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

The entries for my cdrom drives look like this:

/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15 0 0

/mnt/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15 0 0

You could try altering the entry and seeing if it helps. But if you can access the drives already I doubt it will help.

Supermount can be pretty buggy; I would try disabling it in Mandrake Control Center(mcc). On the kde start menu, go to Configuration>mcc. Enter your root password in the pop up window to open mcc then go to mcc>Mount Points. You should see an entry for each CD drive. Click on the first one then tick the "Options" button and the "OK" at the bottom of the window. Untick "supermount" then tick "user" and "noauto". Tick "OK" then tick the "Done" button then"OK". Click on your next CD drive and repeat the above procedure. Reboot and supermount should be disabled on both CD drives but be enabled on your floppy where apparently you are having no problems.

Test to see if your problems where corrected.

1.Place a CD in a drive; open a console and mount it with the command:

$ mount /dev/hdx

where""x" will be either "c" or "d" depending on which drive you are using. Open konqueror to the mount point for the drive(/mnt/cdrom or cdrom2) and see if the contents of the CD are there. If you can read the CD, the problem is fixed and all you need to do is create a desktop icon for easy mounting and unmounting for your CD drives. Go back to your console and unmount the drive with this command:

$ umount /dev/hdx

2.To creating a destop icon for easy mounting and unmounting of the CD drives follow the directions in my post to this thread:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...ighlight=script