ATI driver works! I think, but opengl doesn't

Guest quirk

Hi I have Mandriva 2006 download for 64bit amd, I am using an ATI X300 and finally I got the driver installed AND was able to reboot into X via kdm :) But....

whenever I run glxgears i get the following...

"ocalhost ~]$ glxgears

Loading required GL library /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1

Segmentation fault

@localhost ~]$"

Whenever I try to run opengl info from the kde menu it comes up with a crash window so I reckon there's a problem anyone able to help?

I did install mesa, what am i doing wrong?

Regards

P.S. fglrxinfo has same problem as glxgears *dammit!*

Edited by quirk

Check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and make sure it has a line that says:

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

it could be because of this, or that you don't have the OpenGL libraries installed. Check that mesa has been installed, and if not, install it.

Sigh,

all is as it apparently should be but still no opengl apps, hence I removed the mandriva free version and will not be buying the full version from amazon. I have resorted to Kubuntu 64bit for now....thanks for trying maybe instead of buying a boxed set I could just buy an Nvidia card as life was so much easier then *shrug* I guess it's also ATI's loss as I was gonna upgrade to two crossfire boards but sod it poor support means no more money from me.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

ATI, within the past couple days, has updated their proprietary driver to version 8.20.8 for the Radeon 8500 and higher video cards (available here). I saw elsewhere that this has been found to work on Xorg version 6.9 that is used in Mandriva 2006, so I thought I'd give it a try and it did work on my machine (Athlon 2500, 9200SE AGP video card).

I followed the instructions on the ATI site. The installer detected that Xorg 6.9 was installed. I chose the automatic install option. Then ran fglrxconfig and rebooted. glxgears now reports 1186 fps (with the non-accelerated Mandriva radeon driver I was getting ~ 192 fps), and fgl_glxgears reports ~ 260 fps. glxinfo reports direct rendering: Yes.

I needed to install package libMesaGL1-5.0.2 which had not been installed during the original system install.

Installed the Mandriva tuxracer game (an OpenGL-based game) and it works great with the new driver.