Mandriva 2006 installation on laptop HP pavillion

Demo

I have got message "kernel panic" during installation of mandriva 2006 on my hp pavillion laptop. Last that I see on the screen is "Detecting PCMCIA slot".

To finish installation I use "noauto" options which disable any hardware detection process during installation and after that installation completed without any error except - I need to install and configure evey my hardware (mouse, network, video, sound etc)by hand what is not very easy for me (I am newby in the Linux). But I did it and now I have got a problem with ACPI - you can see the description in other topic here "HP laptop ZE4125 ACPI problem".

I think that the option "noauto" didn't detect my acpi and I am not able to configure it by my self.

The question is: "Is there any other option for installation that disable detection ONLY of selected hardware not everything, may be I need to disable detection of PCMCIA slot"

Any idea, guys?

Start the installation CD with the "nopcmcia" option. This will prevent the yenta_socket module being loaded.

Before that, you can try booting normally, without ANY peripherals being connected to the laptop (especially USB devices).

I had a very similar problem with the PCLinuxOS 9.2 liveCD, which also loads now the "yenta_socket" module at startup by default.

Edited by scarecrow

I have tried "nopcmcia" options and nothing changed.

When linux trying to "Enable PCMCIA card extension" the message appear "Kernel panic - not support or not found" I can read cuz it is written on white background with white font color. May be I use this command wrong but it is easy: installation explain to use any optins like "linux nolapic noapic" and I did the same "linux nopcmcia".

Anyway thank you for your answer.

Ok. Resolved. If "nopcmcia" option didn't help you try this combination

"linux nomce no pcmcia" and after installation you need to add "nomce" into your lilo.conf.

But unresolved problem with ACPI left. My fan is working very fast and noisy. It seems to me that problem may be in /proc/acpi/fan/ directory is empty in the same time directories

/proc/acpi/thermal

/proc/acpi/video

/proc/acpi/processor

/proc/acpi/ac

... etc are not empty. They contain some files with description of device work.