External hard drive changes mount point

Guest devinpoolman

Guest devinpoolman

I have an external hard drive hooked up to my machine running Mandriva 2006 that holds my mp3s. I want to mount this at /mnt/MUSIC and then I have Samba setup serving that directory so I can access my music from my network. So to get this working initially, I added the following to /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda5 /mnt/MUSIC vfat umask=0,defaults 0 0

That works just fine, but the problem is that once and a while the drive is automatically remounted by the system under /mnt/MUSIC1 (or /mnt/MUSIC2, or whatever name is available). So I get this in my /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda5 /mnt/MUSIC vfat umask=0,defaults 0 0

/dev/sdb5 /mnt/MUSIC1 vfat pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

Obviously this prevents me from serving the directory using Samba because the drive is no longer mounted in the same place.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, and there is probably an easy fix. I don't know why my machine is remounting the drive (happens every 1-2 days). Any help?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by devinpoolman

did you edit fstab by hand ?

the managed entry is by udev, which manages hotplugged hardware, but why it remounts your harddisk is a bit strange

maybe you should mount your harddisk through the MCC and let it edit the fstab, sometimes mandy has the bad habbit to ignore hand edited entries in some config-files