installing k3b [SOLVED]

null

I have a fresh install (a reinstall actually) of 2006 powerpack. I set up urpmi with easy urpmi with the link at the top of this site. urpmi works fine. Since my prior install, which I chose KDE not gnome for desktop, was giving me lots of trouble (KDE crashed constantly - "the KDE daemon kded has caused a fault...blah blah) I chose to reinstall yesterday, but I chose gnome, not kde, for the desktop.

Anyway, gnome has been working great, and everything is running smoothly so far.

So now I want to burn a CD with k3b, so I did an urpmi k3b, and it seemed to install OK. But there is no k3b in my gnome menus anywhere, and when I do a whereis k3b from the term, it shows nowhere.

where is k3b, and did it even install? if it did not install, what did i do wrong?

thanks as always!!

Edited by null

If you use "menudrake" and update your menus, it will appear.

However, K3B uses some KDE resources, so I'm not totally sure it will work inside Gnome (which I don't use at all). But I'm sure that if you use XFCE 4.2 instead and enable KDE and Gnome services from the desktop panel, it will work fine.

[root@localhost Desktop]# updatedb && slocate k3b
/var/cache/urpmi/partial/k3b-0.12.3-11mdk.i586.rpm
/var/cache/urpmi/partial/libk3b2-0.12.3-11mdk.i586.rpm
[root@localhost Desktop]#

edit: I used FC for quite a while before trying mandriva, and FC always installed gnome, but not KDE, and k3b always worked fine under FC, and also was included in the gnome menu (under archiving I think). However, maybe when installing FC I marked KDE to install also, but I don't think I did. I think I just left gnome as the only desktop when installing FC.

thanks again

Edited by null

scarecrow's right

I think k3b was not successfully installed... do it again and make it clean..

first.. #urpmi --clean (it will clean the cache, just incase there are problems on the previously downloaded packages)

then #urpmi.update -a -v (this will update your repositories)

then #urpmi k3b

I assume that you have configured you urpmi repo correctly (main,contrib,update)... see the easy urpmi site if not yet

Edited by aioshin

Scarecrow is correct. If the k3b package is still in partial then it has not been installed because it has not been fully downloaded or been corrupted during download and/or the dependencies have not been selected for download. When all is ready to install then the packages move into rpm and install from there. As suggested, clear the stuff out of partial and try again.

Cheers. John