Nvidia, alsa and enterprise kernel

8igjuan

Ok here is what I got:

MDK 9.0 (2.4.19-24mdk enterprise)

Dual P3's 866mhz

Nvidia Quadro 64mb video card (4191)

1.5 gig ram

crystal fusion onboard sound (mod - snd-cs46xx)

Here is my problem everything works fine with the (4191except the noted kde 2d problems) drivers installed as long as I kill the alsa sound server server. If I dont kill alsa and I start a 3d accelerated app such as Chromium or BZ flag X locks up and only option is to do a hard reboot, can't kill x or use alt+sysRq -r -s - e -i -u -b. I was wondering if any one else has had similiar problems with ent. or smp kernels or if any one knows if updating alsa or recompilig the kernel would help. Thanks for any help

The alsa sound server is really only necessary for the cutsie system sounds like you get in windoze. All the games etc. use OSS compatibility mode (you really don't need the "official" proprietary OSS drivers... ). I always run with alsa sound server not loaded. The system is more stable that way. ALSA is not ready for prime time in my opinion.

Thanx

Switching to OSS seems to work, I guess on the installl, alsa was configured as the default module. If any one is into sound check out the linux turnkey audio system. http://lulu.esm.rochester.edu/kevine/turnkey/home.html

Tons of audio tools with an easy install script for Mandrake 9.0

Though some of them do require Alsa but pretty cool in general. I am trying to ween myself off of Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro for Windoze, with Turn-key and Rosegarden i am almost there.

Thanks again