Lexmark Z615 help?

Guest withoutapaddle

Guest withoutapaddle

Hello there

I'm hoping you can help me with my printer. It's a Lexmark Z615. Lexmark have a Linux driver for Redhat 9, but I've not managed to get it to work yet. Unfortunately the printer is too important to just let go. This is a second hand internet cafe computer bought with no OS. I got a copy of Knoppix and did a hdinstall, then got Mandriva.

I followed all the instructions I could find but still couldn't get it to work.

Any advice?

Guest withoutapaddle

I'm really having problems with this. I've managed to get it seen on my localhost:631, but the message reads:

"Unable to open USB device "usb://Lexmark/Z600%20Series": No such device"

Device URI: usb://Lexmark/Z600%20Series

I have the right cups installed and everything. I'm totally new to all this and I can't afford to buy a new printer, especially when I've read so many people got theirs working, although none of their methods seem to work for me.

:wall:

just ran configure again and now it says

Printer State: processing, accepting jobs.

"Rejecting Jobs"

Device URI: usb:/dev/usb/lp0

What can I do????

Edited by withoutapaddle

I have no particular help to offer, sorry, but I wonder if you have searched on the board for help and tried Google. I recall seeing posts about Lexmark printers. Try to search and see if you can find something helpful. Wish I could be of more help, but it does seem that Lexmark is not an easy one for Linux. By the way the big cost in printers isn't the printer, but the carttridges. Good luck.

i got a lexmark usb printer to work several times on different MD versions by using the z600 driver and by forcing a prev vers of cups . searching on google pointed me to the 2 rpms one for the driver and one for the cups driver

you have to force this rpm

CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz

Guest withoutapaddle

Following various different types of installation attempts from howtos and wiki's all over Google and the message board, I've succeeded in getting the printer recognised by the print manager. It's not printing at all.

I'm just a newbie, but is it possible it's a path thing or a permissions thing? How would I find out where it's supposed to be? I have a test page I sent this morning still processing in the queue when I got back from work.

Or maybe all my various installation attempts (extracting to target, forcing install) have messed up my configuration? Is there a way to check this?

These are just ideas because I don't actually know what I'm talking about...

It's simply not supported... sorry for that.

Wisest thing to do next time you go to buy new ink cartidges for that sub- 50$ printer is shedding another 10-15 bucks and buying a budget Epson printer, which should work right out of the box.

HP printers also work nicely under Linux, but HP's customer support sucks eggs.

• 1 month later...
Guest Michael_aust

I was unable to get it to work on any rpm based distro, although it did work on mepis if i used alien to convert them. No help at all thsi but thought id say its works on debian.