Upgrading Firefox

michaelz92

If they are still at 1.0.7 on cooker there is no real difference on the inside, except that the rpms are labelled 1.0.7, whereas on stable they are still labelled as 1.0.6 but in reality contain 1.0.7, I think Mandriva didn't want to have countless new mozilla-firefox-1.0.x directories in /usr/lib after every security update, so they just put the security-relevant stuff into the update-rpms, but do not rename the base-version

there could be one difference, if cooker is using a newer compiler, then there is a chance that the cooker firefox is compiled with this version, therefore sometimes it's not very wise to install cooker packages on your normal mandy, it may spit in your face afterwards (it works sometimes but not always, cooker is experimental after all)

Just out of curiosity.  B)

What's the difference with the Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird version in the cooker repositories?

Since I have built Firefox several times, I know it depends on gtk2, xorg, libxml2, the common mozilla libs, libidl2, and (on most distros) cairo (you also need gcc, of course). Chances that stable and cooker use the same versions of those aren't great.

More than that a few patches as well as a mozconfig pattern are needed, and the patches as well as the build pattern depend a bit on the system in mind.

Rebuilding the cooker's source RPM should work fine, of course, provided that all the above deps are present.

Edited by scarecrow