nvidia drivers : drakconf vs Yast2

sjaglin

:cheesy:

I recently tried Suse 10 on my machine. I have been with mandriva based machine for a year and I must say each I do a new install (10.1 -> LE-2005 -> 2006) I have to do the manip involving dowloading the driver from nvidia then do telinit 3 then sh NV... then use vi to modify to files etc...

Not that interesting in itself and a bit off-putting for the new users who usually want to play games asap...

When I intalled suse 10 on one of my partitions, I was really surprised to see that all that had been handled seemelessly by Yast2! Not fun for those who like to play around the shell but really refreshing when you want to get into the core of the distro pretty quicklly.

So the Question : is there any plans for you brainy people to developp a extra-tool in drakconf which would make installing the 3d any easier for spring-chicken like me?

Cheers

Stef

:thanks:

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

No, because the nvidia driver isn't GPL.

If you are a club member usage of the nvidia driver is utterly simple (braindead), and automaintenance on kernel changes with dkms equally effective.

But- it will never go into the free edition if nvidia doesn't release the driver as GPL (or similar, open licence).

Oh, by the way tastes differ:

"telinit 3 then sh NV... then use vi to modify to files etc..." is by far the most entertaining option! :P