hotplugging [solved]

riseringseeker

I have searched the boards, and googled for the answer to my current quest for improvement on my 2006 (Official) laptop install - all updates applied, and I haven't found anything to help.

I have a PCMCIA removable wireless card (Linksys WPC54G), installed using ndiswrapper. In 2005LE the card worked well enough (though it gave me fits when it came to encrypted sites – another story). It was always available when I plugged it in even if the computer was already running. Now with 2006, if I have been using the computer without the card plugged in, and then insert the card, whether I first shut down, then insert the card and restart, or just insert while the computer is already running, drakroam gives me this error:

“You do not have any wireless interface.

Run the “Set up a new network interface (LAN, ISDN, ADSL, ...)

assistant from the Mandriva Linux Control Center”

When I do run MCC, and (re) configure the wireless, the option “network hotplugging” is checked as active, but grayed out, and sometimes warns that the program has ended abnormally.

I do not see “hotplug” or “udev” running under services in MCC either (expert mode), though they are installed. I read a post about updating udev – but if there is a different way than to do it than MCC's “update software”, someone will have to clue me in to how.

I know there should be a way to run the computer without the card in, and not have to reconfigure it the next time I run with the card! If someone has a solution, I would appreciate it!

udev does not show up under services in mcc because it is one of the basic system-services that are always needed

pcmcia-cards are not handled by the hotplug-package but the pcmcia-package, look if it is installed (there must be an entry in mcc/services named pcmcia and it should be activated at boot), maybe netplugd should also be activated at boot (can be activated in mcc/services too)

Both pcmcia and netplugd are running and are set to start at boot. Concerning udev, my question was if there was any other way to update it other than software updates in MCC.

Just tried the wireless card again, after having booted up with the hotel wired connection. I shutdown, put the card in and booted. It again told me I do not have a wireles interface, and need to set one up.

This doesn't seem to be a problem with ndiswrapper...

ndiswrapper -l gives me:

Installed ndis drivers:

lstinds driver present, hardware present

Solved!

It was (sort of) a ndiswrapper problem afterall!

I was poking around trying to get the thing to work, and I tried "modprobe ndiswrapper". The card was suddenly there! I then added that line to the file ifcfg-wlan0, and now it works!

:banana:

Edited update.

I tried to add it to ifcfg-wlan0, but that file gets overwritten when one connects to a new network. Instead I added a line to /etc/netplug/netplugd.conf instead.

Edited by riseringseeker

nice to hear

seems that it didn't load the ndiswrapper module automatically, have never worked with ndiswrapper, so this never occured to me

concerning udev and updates: you can update from the CLI too: I think it's urpmi update, but then there must be a newer version of the packaage in one of your update-sources

sorry, maybe my somewhat unlucky formulation was a bit misleading

if there was a newer package on the servers it would have been updated, there is no difference between using MCC or CLI in this respect

using urpmi on the command line is just a different way of doing things, but in the end the effect is the same

the difference is that the command line is good for use in scripts or if you don't have a graphical interface (on a server this might be the case), but on a desktop machine you can just use MCC as well

urpmi has indeed some nice additional features on the command line, you can tell it to retain the rpm-packages in /var/cache/urpmi/rpms (that's where they are initially stored after download) if you want to use them for another machine, normally they would be deleted after install

Edited by lavaeolus