Urpmi database locked

Arne

I want to install "squid" in mcc and it hangs or maybe I was not patient enough so I terminated the installation. Without reboot I tried "urpmi squid" and got "urpmi database locked"

I rebooted in terminal and tried "urpmi squid" again and I got this:

[root@linuxhost arne]# urpmi squid  
To satisfy dependencies, the following 2 packages are going to be installed (3 MB):  perl-Authen-Smb-0.91-6mdk.i586  
squid-2.5.STABLE10-10.2.20060mdk.i586  
Is this OK? (Y/n) y    
...retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 6 or signal 0        
ftp://mdk.linux.org.tw/pub/mandrakelinux/official/updates/2006.0/main_updates/./squid-2.5.STABLE10-10.2.20060mdk.i586.rpm  

...retrieving failed: curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'mdk.linux.org.tw'  installing perl-Authen-Smb-0.91-6mdk.i586.rpm squid-2.5.STABLE10-10.2.20060mdk.i586.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms  
Preparing...                    #############################################        
1/2: perl-Authen-Smb       #############################################        
2/2: squid                 #############################################  
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/sbin/squidclient;438569c0: cpio: read

My repository was 100% OK before this happened.

So what is the proper and safe way to get the media work again.

Hi arne, I've come across this before, and rebooted to sort it out. There is a way to do it without rebooting, but I'm not sure how.

If the download failed, suggest going to /var/cache/urpmi/rpms or var/cache/urpmi/partial, remove the rpms downloaded, and then try to install again, it will download from scratch, but you might have a partial download causing the install to fail.

Hello Ian,

Thanks for quick reply

I did:

[root@linuxhost rpms]# ls
squid-2.5.STABLE10-10.2.20060mdk.i586.rpm
[root@linuxhost rpms]# rm squid-2.5.STABLE10-10.2.20060mdk.i586.rpm
rm: remove regular file `squid-2.5.STABLE10-10.2.20060mdk.i586.rpm'? y

Then I did:

[root@linuxhost rpms]# urpmi squid

ftp://mdk.linux.org.tw/pub/mandrakelinux/official/updates/2006.0/main_updates/./squid-2.5.STABLE10-10.2.20060mdk.i586.rpm
installing squid-2.5.STABLE10-10.2.20060mdk.i586.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms
Preparing...                     #############################################
     1/1: squid                 warning: /etc/logrotate.d/squid created as /etc/logrotate.d/squid.rpmnew
warning: /etc/pam.d/squid created as /etc/pam.d/squid.rpmnew
#warning: /etc/squid/mime.conf created as /etc/squid/mime.conf.rpmnew
warning: /etc/squid/mime.conf.default c###reated as /etc/squid/mime.conf.default.rpmnew
warning: /etc/squid/msntauth.conf created as /etc/squid/msntauth.conf.rpmnew
warning: /etc/squid/msntauth.conf.default created as /etc/squid/msntauth.conf.default.rpmnew
warning: /etc/squid/squid.conf created as /etc/squid/squid.conf.rpmnew
warning: /etc/squid/squid.conf.default created as /etc/squid/squid.conf.default.rpmnew
warning: /etc/sysconfig/squid created as /etc/sysconfig/squid.rpmnew
#########################################

Can you please enlighten me on this????

How can I check that "squid" is installed and working OK???? I have not used "squid" before.

Do you think my media base is OK after this?????

Ian,

Since my internet connection varies a lot speed wise the important lesson I got from this is:

Do not use mcc to install packages from media because mcc do not monitor the download and do not show any progress information.

Therefore when mcc ask for download excape and run urpmi in a terminal. The go back to mcc and repeat what did before mcc asked for install.

Ian, I got this and it don't look good

[root@linuxhost rpms]# chkconfig --list squid

squid 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off

[root@linuxhost rpms]# service squid status

squid is stopped

squid: ERROR: No running copy

I think I need to run "urpme squid" and get rid of both "squid" and then run "urpmi squid" again. do you agree??????

I run "squid start" and get:

[root@linuxhost rpms]# squid start

FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname. Please set 'visible_hostname'

Squid Cache (Version 2.5.STABLE10): Terminated abnormally.

CPU Usage: 0.009 seconds = 0.008 user + 0.001 sys

Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB

Page faults with physical i/o: 0

Aborted

I run:

[root@linuxhost rpms]# service squid start

init_cache_dir /var/spool/squid... /etc/init.d/squid: line 54: 7896 Aborted $SQUID -z -F -D >>/var/log/squid/squid.out 2>&1

Starting squid: /etc/init.d/squid: line 53: 7898 Aborted $SQUID $SQUID_OPTS >>/var/log/squid/squid.out 2>&1

[FAILED]

Something else worth trying. This is how I installed squid on my system and it worked a treat.

First I did:

urpmi drakwizard

Then I went into Configure Your Computer, and selected Network Services and Configure a web caching proxy server. I accepted all the defaults, and it all worked. If squid wasn't installed at the time of selecting it in MCC, then it would install squid, and then let you configure the system.

A little odd, it should have prompted, unless something is wrong with your urpmi sources.

Try issuing "urpmi.update -a" from the command line, then try to urpmi drakwizard again.

Ian,

I rebuild the database with

rm -rf /var/lib/rpm/_db*
rpm --rebuilddb

Then I installed "drakwizard" and "squid" successfully.

My good drakwizard give so many wizards and I don't know which one to choose so have to read more about samba. You have any tip????

Anyway I am happy I didn't need to rebuild my media.