DNS & Speedtouch questions [solved]

Guest Saner

HIya,

I used to run MDK 9.x without any problems what so ever, when 10LE came out I couldnt get my speedtouch modem working.

However when 2006 came out I thought I would try again, once again i bought a club membership to have the fully blown package, and once again I am having problems.

I have got the modem to work after lots of tarting about, but I have a couple of problems and questions.

#1. The modem drops when its inactive, I think its due to being inactive as I left it downlaoding updates for mdk last night, and it dropped some time after that finished.

I am guessing its dropped as I cant use the internet from my windows PC, as I am typing this I have not tested it via the linux box, as that has just popped into my head, I will update this is and when it happens again.

Anyways any ideas as to why this may be happening, I have all the power managment disabled in the bios, and I thought it may be dropping power to USB, but that didnt solve it.

#2. How do I manually start the modem, pppd call adsl / pppd call speedtch dotn work.

#3. Shorewall, DNS seems very very slow. If I dont add my ISP's dns server to my windows PC manually I can only use the internet via IP and not DNS, even when i add it manually it seems slow to iniatally find the site, then its fine.

Any idea's or help on any of these would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 22 06:52:45 localhost modem_run[1382]: Error reading interrupts

Nov 22 06:52:45 localhost modem_run[1382]: [monitoring report] ADSL link went down

Nov 22 06:52:45 localhost kernel: hub 1-0:1.0: port 1 disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling...

Whats EMI ?

The erro r might be because the drivers need to be compiled with the kernel version. You should go to linmodem to get the actual driver and recompile with the kernel.

Well I am using the official mdk driver that came with 2006 powerpack download.

I am going to drop back to 10LE and see if that solves the problem, there are a lot of little things that are bugging me about 2006, so I am going to try an older version. 9.x and 8.x worked fine, so i am hoping I wont have this problem in 10LE.