Problems with KDE

ianw1974

Having a problem with KDE, that doesn't seem to work regardless of what version of Mandriva I use.

First, I'd installed LE2005 on my system, and found that sometimes, when I launch an application it just sits there and then disappears after 30 seconds. I then click again, and sometimes it will repeat the same process. And other times, it will actually launch. Although worst case is I have to click to run it maybe five or six times before I eventually get my application.

I don't seem to have this problem with Gnome though, as this is what I'm currently using now. I did reinstall the system from scratch with 2006 this morning, and all was working well, and then suddenly, it started all the problems of launching again. Gnome 2.10 however, is completely fine.

I could get used to Gnome, but I don't like Nautilus as the file manager, as it opens all the directories in separate windows. I preferred konqueror, as it opened them in the same window. This was why I'd always used KDE until now, because I can suffer Nautilus if the apps actually load first time.

My spec of my machine is nothing out of the ordinary:

AMD Athlon XP1800+

1GB RAM

20GB 7200rpm IDE

160GB 7200rpm IDE

DVD-ROM

DVD-RW

Gigabyte System Board

If anyone has any ideas as to how I can fix this launching problem, that'd be great. Or, if not, what can I use instead of Nautilus in Gnome?

Have tried that too. My cleanly built system didn't have a .kde directory, and I also tried removing and letting it recreate afterwards, but still the same problems.

It doesn't seem to be user-specific.

when I launch an application it just sits there and then disappears after 30 seconds.

What you observe "sitting there", is not the application itself, but rather "launch feedback". It is shown by KDE before running the application itself and held for some time (30 seconds by default and configurable). If the application being run shows some window, launch feedback taskbar entry is just replaced by this window one. Otherwise, the "launch feedback" taskbar entry just disappears.

Now, the most probable reason for such behaviour may be the application just crashing at startup. Try to run the application from the console and see its output. If there are any signs of crash or some useful debug output, investigate it. If not, KDE has some bug :(

It's weird, because on my other machines it's fine. It's just this one, which makes it frustrating.

I'll try some output, but even launching a terminal does this too :P

Once I get a terminal open, I'll try a few apps and hopefully have one fail and be able to post back what it says.

It's weird, because on my other machines it's fine.  It's just this one, which makes it frustrating.

I'd suspect hardware, namely CPU or memory, problems.

I'll try some output, but even launching a terminal does this too :P

What happens if you invoke "Start - Run command" ( Alt-F2 on my system) and try to run "konsole" from there?

I've been trying all I can to get apps to crash when launching from the konsole, but they won't.

Each time I try, they launch successfully. The one that causes me the most problems is "Configure Your Desktop" and "Konsole" for launching problems.

I've tried launching "Configure Your Desktop" from within konsole but it won't do it. It comes back with:

[ian@ianlinux ~]$ '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/System/Configuration/KControl.desktop'
bash: /var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/System/Configuration/KControl.desktop: Permission denied

I've also tried this as root too, but doesn't seem to work.

I could get used to Gnome, but I don't like Nautilus as the file manager, as it opens all the directories in separate windows.  I preferred konqueror, as it opened them in the same window.  This was why I'd always used KDE until now, because I can suffer Nautilus if the apps actually load first time.

Nautilus is easly tweaked (not sure why this isn'nt set as a default though).

run gconf-editor, then I think its in apps>nautilus, and tick the browser option. it will then behave just like konqueror did. ;)

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

Nice one, that did the trick with Nautilus :P

I'll have a go at memtest just to doubly make sure, but it all works fine with everything else, be it Windows, etc, etc, etc. I was going to try 10.1 Official to see if I had problems with that, as I feel that has been the best edition to date.

Anyone know which one I should install:

memtest86+:memtest86+-1.60-1mdk.i586.rpm
memtest86+:memtest86+-1.60-1mdk.i586.rpm
memtester:memtester-4.0.5-1mdk.i586.rpm

I installed and ran memtest86 for at least five minutes, and I had nearly 900 errors. I'm unsure of whether this affects one or both 512MB DDR 266 DIMMS, so am going to test each one singularly to find out.

Actually, I think I've found the problem was a BIOS configuration rather than memory problem.

In the first five minutes of memtest, it reported almost 900 errors. However, after choosing "Load Optimised Defaults" in the BIOS, rebooting, and then testing again, no errors appeared whatsoever.

I'm now testing KDE again to see what happens, and if OK, then it was just this. If not, then I'll run a full memtest and see what happens.