skype install/uninstall [solved]

riseringseeker

You can always try the --force option with urpmi or rpm.  I have been able to install over a copy of skype that wouldn't uninstall that way (didn't help though), and then it would not uninstall either.

So where are you getting the older version?  I haven't been able to find any for mandy, deb yes, mandy no.

how do you use the --force option with urpmi,what exactly do you type in konsole ?

the earlier version i got can be found here :

skype-1.1.0.20-fc3.i586.rpm

Just untar to some directory, check if "skype" has executable flag, and run it. If it's not running there's a README file inside on setting program variables the easy way...

It even includes a .desktop file.

i installed the version 1.2.0.18 but then i am back to square one. i have no sound at all. is there somewher a tarbal from an earlier version like 1.1.0.20 ?

Hi,

Photoworks, I tried to do this, but I am too noobie, and it is probable because I am not familiar with tar.

Where did you get the package, and what did you do afterwards - what directory, what did you type as root. I did a "man tar" to read more, but so many options that I got lost.

If you would explain I would greatly appreciate it. Then we need to try the stuff on http://forum.skype.com about hijacker. That seems to work for some people.

A tip for anyone unfamiliar with commandline, tar, gzip and such "uncharted territory":

Midnight Commander browses in/deflates most types of archives, and it's really easy to use (even in pure console mode).

i got the package on skype.com download. it is explained on the site how to untar it.

but the fact is that i cannot make it work. i can dial a contact but when i get it online, he cannot hear me and i cannot hear him.

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall: