Sound Card Fun!

Guest BarryFandango

Guest BarryFandango

I'm a Win-crossover new user, i don't know about linux but I know a thing or two about computers. I installed mandrake 9 on my computer a week ago and I'm starting to wonder if anybody on the Internet can help make my soundcard work.

I've posted on about five different support sites now, including mandrakesexpert.com, experts-exhcange.com (200 points!!), pclinuxonline.com, etc etc. I found the most help on EE but my problem still remains - not a peep out of these speakers. here's the Experts-exchange dialogue so far. If anybody can help me they will be my new personal hero.

thanks

barryfandango

---------------------------

Question from BarryFandango:

I am a 100% linux beginner, but i am an expert windows user so hopefully i can catch on quick. I installed Mandrake 9.0 today and my soundcard doesn't work. It's a Midiman M-Audio Audiophile 2496.

I know that it uses an Envy24 chip and is supported under the ALSA driver ICE1712, and mandrake seems to have detected and installed those things. No sound though.

When I open the Control Center and click on Information--> Sound, I get the following info:

Sound Driver:3.8.1a980706(ALSA v0.9.0rc2 emulation code)

Installed drivers:

Type 10:ALSA emulation

Card config:

M Audio Audiophile 24/96 zt 0xd800, irq 9

Timers:

7:system timer

Mixers:

0:mixer00

--------------

In the control center under Sound-->Sound Server -->Sound I/O i switched the "Sound I/O Method" field to "Advanced Linux Sound Architecture" and hit apply. When the Sound Server restarts i hear a slight click in the speakers, which is the sound the card makes when it's initialized. Hitting the "Test Sound" button under the "General" tab produces no sound though, nor does playing an MP3 in Xmms.

When I open KMix i get a blank window. If i hit File-->New Mixer Tab, a popup asks me to choose a mixer but there are none on the list.

Any help would be appreciated.

-------------------------

Comment from as649453

Hi,

The problem is that most distributions doesn't use the ALSA drivers by default... They work with OSS... I'm not sure on the status on MDK on this but you may have to install/configure them manually...

Could you check your /etc/modules.conf files and look if the following lines are presents (you need to be root to do that):

alias char-major-166 snd

alias char-major-14 soundcore

alias snd-card-0 snd-card-ice1712

alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0 snd-card-ice1712

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss snd-card-ice1712

alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss snd-card-ice1712

alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss snd-card-ice1712

alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss snd-card-ice1712

alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss snd-card-ice1712

options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 options snd-card-ice1712 snd_index=0 snd_id="0"

options snd-card-ice1712 snd_index=0 snd_id="0" snd_port=PORT_ADRESS snd_irq=9 snd_dma1=DMA_8bits snd_dma2=DMA_16bits

The PORT_ADRESS and DMA are numerical value that are the adress of the soundcard and DMA value (if you're not sure about them, you can check in your Windows installation).

If these lines are not there, you may try to add them (with the correct value for port and DMA). Do a backup before to be able to come back if needed...

If it doesn't work, you may have to install the ALSA drivers... But they probably are there since you hear the sound of card initialisation...

--

Comment from barryfandango

as,

I opened the .conf and found a couple of lines referring to ICE1712 but not like you posted. I removed the lines (backed up) and put in the ones you suggested. I'm not sure how to find the snd_port and dma values. When i boot up in windows and view my card's "Resources" tab under the device manager, i see:

PCI slot 4 (bus 2, device 12, function 0)

I/O Range:

D800-D81F

D400-D40F

D000-D00F

B800-B83F

IRQ:20

--

Comment from as649453

Okay, after checking for more specific info on your soundcard for Linux, you may not need all these lines... If you hear the sound card initialisation, it means that the address, IRQ and DMA or ok. If not, you wouldn't hear anything...

For the modules.conf files, ALSA recommend using the following lines for your card (you may add the missing line to your original modules.conf file or copy/paste to the botttom of the file):

# ALSA portion

alias char-major-116 snd

alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712

# module options should go here

# OSS/Free portion

alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# card #1

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss

alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss

alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss

alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss

alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

Just to be sure that the correct module is installed, could you open a console and type: modinfo soundcore

It will tell you if the module is installed or not...

Let suppose it's installed. Now, could you type alsamixer. It's the mixer you need with ALSA. I'm not sure that KMix to that... If it's not installed, you may install it from the Mandrake CD. It may be part of a package named alsa-utils. It's also needed for ALSA to work...

So, please check this and tell us what happens...

--

Comment from dlusty

is PNP OS enabled in the BIOS? if so disable it, this worked for me )

--

02/03/2003 05:00PM PST

as,

I put in the lines you suggested, but i'm not sure what to put in for "module options should go here."

dlusty,

i checked the bios and PNP is not enabled, thanks

--

Comment from as649453

Before proceeding, you may also post your question at www.mandrakeusers.org. Some people there may know a much easier way to install the drivers than having to compile them from the source code...

Good luck!

- I forgot to mention to post your question at www.pclinuxonline.com. I know that some peoples there are using ALSA with Mandrake 9.0. They can probably help you better than me...

--

Comment from as649453

Good news, the rpm package for ALSA drivers and libs are available for download at http://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut...e/RPMS.texstar/

Go there and download evrything with ALSA in the name. You will get drivers, players, plugins, everything you need to run ALSA.

Once installed, you may have to edit the modules.conf file as mentionned above.

With these files, I will not be surprise if everything working again.

For modprobe, I had a similra problem. Just open the file /etc/X11/Xsession with a text editor. The first line should look like #!/bin/sh. Just change it for #!/bin/bash and check if it's working. Note that you may have to restart the Xserver for the change to take effect. I don't know why, but the change only works for users other than root... Anyway, you will have to change this line if you plan to install Java someday...

--

Okay. I've got the alsa-mixer, alsa-player and libraries, and the mp3 and ogg-vorbis plugins installed.

Here is the complete text of my modules.conf file:

----------------------------------

probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi

alias eth0 8139too

options bttv radio=0 card=63 gbuffers=4

# alias sound-slot-0 snd-ice1712 (original line)

# above snd-ice1712 snd-pcm-oss (original line)

probeall usb-interface usb-uhci

# ALSA portion

alias char-major-116 snd

alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712

# module options should go here

# OSS/Free portion

alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# card #1

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss

alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss

alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss

alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss

alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

-----------------------

"modinfo soundcore" produces this:

filename: /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o.gz

description: "Core sound module"

author: "Alan Cox"

license: "GPL"

On bootup, and whenever i restart the sound server i receive the following message (i no longer get the click in the speakers):

Sound server informational message:

Error while initializing the sound driver:

device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)

oh and when i attempt to start the alsa player it hangs, presumably because no sound device is present.

--

Comment from as649453

OK, the soundcore module is correctly loaded and functional, which is very important...

For the error message, someone reported the exact same problem and solved it by removing the x at "Run soundserver with realtime priority" in KDE

control center -> Sound -> Soundserver an it was ok. Maybe you should try that and see if it works...

Have you made it this far? Well that's the story up till now. I edited out some parts to make it more exciting. I followed that last suggestion (to turn off "run as real-time") but no dice. So: Are there any experts on this site that can help?

thanks

barryfandango

Guest BarryFandango

emh,

I have 50% solved this problem - see my new post, "crackled garblesound." The title gives a good indication of the progress i've made... I've returned the modules.conf lines to the original two that the mandrake installer put in there.