Question on installing Discovery pack v free iso's

eroica

hello,

i was going to install the new Mandriva on toshiba laptop and was wondering if there is any difference in downloading the free iso's when they become available or buying the Discovery or PowerPack. Specifically do u get more driver's for video,sound. wifi w/the packages?

alan

I updated my LE2005 system to 2006 today using the Free version.

The Powerpack option has some 3rd party drivers provided by the likes of NVidia, ATI, etc, but most of the time they're out of date anyway, and most people update using the drivers from the manufacturer themselves.

I've always used the freely available versions, and never had a problem installing them. I've also installed on my Toshiba Satellite A10 laptop no problems.

i got a toshiba satellite 1400 s151 w/ Trident Cyber ALADDiN-T graphics chip & the Ali M1535 Sound chip so i was wondering if the packages might give me support that iso's wouldnt. Also Windows Device manager only says it is Toshiba pci-mini wifi card. Is this the driver i should be looking for or do i have to figure out the chipset the card uses. all the documentation just refers to it as a Toshiba pci-mini card. I'm thinking that it is just a branded name and the chip manufacturer is somebody like orinco etc..Anybody w/experience on toshiba laptops have any suggestions or advice for this particular laptop's hardware setup I would be most appreciative..

thanx,

alan

Edited by eroica

If you've still got Windows on your machine, you should be able to find out in the driver properties some more info.

I installed an Atheros WiFi card in my laptop, minipci too. Easiest way to tell is have a look at the driver .inf files. But from experience, you need to use ndiswrapper along with the Windows drivers under Linux.