AMD64 + RocketRaid issues

Guest mapsi

Hello there,

I'm trying to install 2006 x86_64 on a computer that will be used as a file/printer/database server. The specs are: ASUS A8V mobo, AMD64 3200+, 1GB RAM, 4 SATA 80GB HDDs connected on a HighPoint RocketRaid 1640 controller. I have created a 1+0 array with all 4 HDDs. Unfortunatelly I cannot complete the installation as the setup program recognises all 4 HDDs and not a single array.

I have downloaded the open source drivers for the controller but i cannot install them since as it seems i have to have a complete installation first before i install the drivers.

Please help me!!!

Thanks in advance,

Angel

Hello Angel,

IHMO, those software RAID is not worth the trouble. Unless you are willing to invest in hardware RAID like 3Ware cards, just use you SATA card as a regular IDE and utilize LVM (Large Volume Management I think)in Mandriva. I just set up a box with two 80 GB and one 200GB hard drives in LVM mode on a fake RAID card used as IDE controller. One warning though! You need to set aside a /boot partition on the first hard drive for about 150 MB at the very beginning of the hard drive so that LILO or GRUB to be installed.

Hope this help.

J.T.

Thanks for your reply!

I decided to go for a software RAID level 5 on friday and so created a /boot partition and partitioned my 4 hard drives exactly similar to each other. I now have 3 online drives for my RAID 5 and a standby one.

I realised that it was so easy to do by using mandriva's diskdrake (or however it's called!) . I absolutely spent ages trying to do it from the CLI and I thought "what the heck i'll try the GUI way" and it worked in 5'...

Angel.

Those cheap raid cards are no good at all. They use the CPU to process the raid. I have a promise raid controller. Before buying it I did a little research about whether the card is supported under linux on google and promise site. I said to myself "Yea". However, after getting the card and doing a bit deeper research, I found out the hard way. The card was only supported in Redhat 9.0 with the driver downloaded from promise website. I went to kernel website and search on the archive and all the posts there said that the card was not hardware raid. It was software raid processed by the CPU via the driver. So, now I use the card as a regular add-on IDE controller.

J.T.