Mandriva 2006.0 installation issues and such...

Guest sprinthead

Guest sprinthead

Greets all !

I'm not a total nOOb to Linux , just getting to the point that I can wrap my brain around many of it's unique characteristics ! Not bad for an almost ex-Windows user !

Here is a rundown on the probs I'm finding. Mandriva 2005 LE installs and runs like a hot-damn ! I borrowed from a good friend the Powerpack DVD of 2006.0 to see how much of an improvement it was over 05LE. I initially did an upgrade install of 06 over 05 and it went along seamlessly. I rebooted, made some changes to my desktop settings, went to logout of the session and restart X, and I had *something* segfault !! Hmmm .... never had this with 05.

Ok methinks .... I'll do a clean install and see what happens. Well ... that went even WORSE !! I got the base OS installed, and then it would hardlock EVERY time it was loading and finalizing the X Windows session, just before the desktop had fully loaded. After much mussin around, and little progress, I tried to install again after discovering that ACPI is turned off by default in 05, but turned on in 06 by default. I had changed NOTHING in my systems BIOS before any of this over my flawlessly running 05LE install ! I turned off ACPI in the final stages of the install configuration hoping that would do the trick ... to no avail however !! I also tried a clean install on another box, and had all the exact same issues !!! Weird eh !!???? :wall:

I'm somewhat puzzled and at a loss as to where to go next with this ! :help:

Here is what's in the box ...

A-Bit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ XP2500M CPU, 512MB x2 OCZ CAS2 RAM in Dual Channel, Radeon 8500, Hauppauge WinTV Go, LG 4167 DVD DL drive, a Maxtor 120GB and WD 120GB. I'm using the OEM LAN and Sound which alsa picks up as an i8x0 soundcard, and the LAN picks up as NVidia MCP yadda yadda ....

Other box is ....

ECS K7S5A ver 2 w/ XP1800 CPU, 2x 256MB Samsung DDR333, AIW Radeon 32MB, LG DVD RW, Yamaha 32x CDRW, 20GB Maxtor and 80GB WD.

Any ideas oh great gods of Mandriva ????

Edited by sprinthead

Guest sprinthead

Ok ... I finally got 2006 installed on my lesser box, the K7S5A, by disabling PNP OS and disabling ACPI and APIC in the setup for the bootloader.

So ... seeing as I got it all working on the crappy puter, I figured I could get it to run fine on my better NForce 2 system ..... WRONG !!!!

I am at a loss as to what to try next, short of installing 05LE and doing the upgrade, as this has been the only way I've been able to get it to work thusfar ! One thing I am going to try is doing a reset of my BIOS to factory defaults and then try the install and see if it may be one of my BIOS settings that's messing me up.

Other than that, I can't help but think if there is nothing to get it to work properly, that there must be some GNASTY bugs in a few things that are making this the pain it is !!

Could you give us some detail at what exactly went wrong? Where did the installation stop? were there any error messages? Have you tried to install with some extra graphic options, like nofb or vesa=771 or fb1024x768 or stuff like that?

Guest sprinthead

Aha !!

Problem appears to be KDE specific !! I got smart this time and installed Gnome and logged into a Gnome session no probs !! In KDE however, I login, the startup sound plays, a window opens up that in the titlebar saays mandrivagalaxy.real .... and then dies right there !! No more joy !!! :-(

** Nope ! hit reset on my box to bail outa the locked up KDE session, and rebooted, tried loggin into Gnome ... it got part way thru and hardlocked !! This is REALLY starting to piss me off !! **Pardon my french !! ;-)

Edited by sprinthead

As it seems to be KDE specific, it could be that the DVD you use is borked somewhere. If you have broadband, I would simply uninstall kde, clean up the hidden kde files in your home folder and reinstall kde.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sprinthead

** SOLVED !! **

I feel like such a dOlt !!

Well ... after finally getting 05LE back on the box, I thought I would download the Linux installer for Quake 4 and whippped out my shiney new Quake 4 DVD and tried to get it up and running in Linux.

HA !! Not as easy as it seems !! :wall: I got momentary satisfaction, until my box would hardlock ! :evilmod: This went on for hours as I Googled and twiddled until ....

After NO success on 05LE ... I got extremely peeved and installed :suse: 10 OSS. The SuSE install went fine ( altho I ABHOR the package installation program when doing the initial setup ! But hey ... I can live with it and work within it ! So ... I gave her hell on SuSE .

HA !! Even worse !! Frustration was starting to get the best of me !

So I went back to the rudimentary things on my system and actually THOUGHT about what would cause the box to hardlock like that ... esp since it has been rock solid stable so far ! AHA !!! But I have NOT gamed on this box since I put it together ! SO ... with that in mind .... I installed Quake 4 in Winblows .... and guess what ????

IT FRIKKEN HARDLOCKED TOO !!!

With suspicions confirmed ... I re-checked BIOS settings and saw they were all as needed, liked and preferred ... except this time I punched up Vcore from 1.50v to 1.575v. Keep in mind ... I'm running and AMD XP2500 M !! I rebooted , loaded Winblows, them Quake 4 and played for half an hour gettin my a** fragged !!

NO HARDLOCKS !!

I thot HOT DAMN !! Problem fixed (???) I booted into the SuSE 10 install still on my system and then proceeded to get fragged to bits there !! This went on for about an hour to my abundant PLEASURE !!!

Now, since I have this all figured out as to what I need for juice to my CPU for gaming, I'm thinking this *may* also resolve my 06 install issues ! I'll keep ya'll posted !

Edited by sprinthead

Guest sprinthead

Confirmed !!!

All my issues WERE related to my not having my Vcore cranked up high enough !

I'm all installed and running A-OK now .....

AND LOVIN' IT !!!

This latest offering is the best so far !!!

Keep up the awesome work everybody at Mandriva !!

This is destined to be the distro that will convert Windows users to Linux. I've got a buddy that's a Debian nut ... but Deb is just too much of a pain to install for the average nOOb ( as are so many of the distros ). SuSE's installer is great UNTIL you get to package selection ... that one thing will be their downfall for a person who is new to Linux and trying to get away from Windows.

Of all the distros, Mandriva is THE best for ease of use for nOObies ... and is of course very capable for the advanced user too !! I am looking forward to getting totally into this latest version and having some serious fun with it ! I'm enjoying my computer again !