Anyone have good GPS tools?

neddie

About to head out the door from work to go home. I don't understand why you can't view the runs. I can view them in Opera and Firefox on Linux - and MSIE, Opera and Firefox on Windows XP. Any chance you have any unusual settings? -- like javascript turned off or some such? Everyone I know around this area here has no problem viewing them. Something is odd.

You're right, I tried Firefox and it works fine. Looks good!

If you're interested, I think it's the browser detection that's causing Mozilla to fail, it's got a check:

if ( browserType.indexOf("firefox") == -1

&& browserType.indexOf("msie") == -1

){

xmlDoc = request.responseXML; // this for normal browsers

} else {

xmlDoc = GXml.parse(request.responseText); // firefox

}

Maybe Mozilla falls through the cracks here. In any case, there's a javascript error thrown by the following line: "xmlDoc has no properties", and that stops the rest of the javascript from working.

Those do look like the suspect lines. Unfortunately, I don't have Mozilla around to test. I undrstand there is also a problem with Safari. I got tired of screwing with it, so moved off to other things for a while.

If you checked out the webcams, you can see me slaving away. My next project is to do something about live streaming there, perhaps using JMF. I need to replicate some functionality I used to have in Windows with WebCam32, that I can't seem to find anywhere for Linux.

Edited by RVDowning

Well, got the data into Google Earth, now I can't find any place to turn on any 3D rendering. If the 3D is interesting, then it would be good to look at the data from the Peachtree Road Race which was held in downtown Atlanta, GA a couple of months ago, in between tall buildings.

So, my roommate is downloading a later version of Google Earth. Still have to see if we can find anything related to 3D.

Ok, downloaded the latest Google Earth which defaults to 3d. The 3d effects would probably be more interesting if one of the downtown (Atlanta, GA. USA) runs were to be used, because they go around tall buildings. Don't know that I'm ambitious enough to redo my xml format to conform to what Google Earth wants.

Guess I'll just have to add that to the list of things I'll do when I get around to it.

I'll add a "mozilla" check into the following conditional:

if ( browserType.indexOf("firefox") == -1

&& browserType.indexOf("msie") == -1

)

when I get home tonight. Let me know if it fixes the mozilla problem.

Downtown Atlanta: peach_tree_10k.kmz.tar.gz

If you turn the "3D Buildings" layer on, you can see several tall bulidings at the end of the route, but it does slow everything down. Oddly the route seems to go through a couple of the buildings, but maybe that's ok?

Oh, and yeah you've fixed the Mozilla problem! :thumbs:

Through buldings????? No wonder I felt battered and bruised!

That was probably just gps inaccuracy. I notice the gps path was screwey in a couple of places, and I already fixed the worst occurrances. I think some of the tall buildings and heavy electronic activity in the area might have had an adverse affect on the gps signal.

Thanks for checking the Mozilla thing. One more thing off my list.

• 1 month later...

Wow, I've just been playing with Povray to render 3d models of my GPS data, and it looks almost too cool! B)

I tried it once before with Mandriva 2005, but either that version was different or (more likely) I was doing something wrong with it that time, anyway I couldn't get rid of the jagged lines and roughness so it all looked rubbish and I gave up.

For some reason I tried it again this week (now with Mandriva 2007) and the models look really cool, with smooth antialiasing and everything. There go my weekend plans now, now I'm going to have to make a conversion tool to put the GPS tracks into .pov format! :thumbs: