Installing an additional gcc 2.95 with mdk9

Hi, I want to write and compile some Zaurus apps and have setup the development environment as instructed by ZaurusZone.com. I am experiencing compilation errors and have found out it's because I must use gcc 2.95 and NOT gcc 3.2 as comes with mdk9.

The trouble is I don't want to downgrade the compiler or the OS. I suppose I could build another computer and run an older Mandrake on it, one that comes with gcc 2.95 (perhaps mdk8 or 8.2 had this), but I would rather run 2 versions of the compiler on my machine at once. Does anyone know if this is possible? I already have a special script that I run to setup my development environment variables, maybe I could precede the PATH with the location of an additional gcc 2.95 installed somewhere else like my Home folder.

Any help would be nice.

Regards,

Simon Constable

Thanks johnnyv, I wasn't aware that I could run 2 versions at the same time. Indeed Mandrake 9 comes with gcc 2.96 also which runs alongside 3.2.

Inside my Zaurus project's Makefile I just change:-

CC = gcc

CXX = g++

to read:-

CC = gcc-2.96

CXX = g++-2.96

and it compiles fine. So now I'm a Zaurus developer :D

BTW if anyone knows an easier way to run gcc-2.96 instead of the normal gcc (which is 3.2) then let me know. Anything that will save me repeatedly having to edit the Makefile.

Regards,

Simon Constable

BTW if anyone knows an easier way to run gcc-2.96 instead of the normal gcc (which is 3.2) then let me know. Anything that will save me repeatedly having to edit the Makefile.

run:

update-alternatives --config gcc

update-alternatives --config cpp

and select the gcc/cpp versions you want to use by default.

as always "man update-alternatives" for more info.

HTH