Weird handling of new graphics card [solved]

ffrr

I just swapped my old TNT2 graphics card for an MX440 in my Mandriva 2006 machine. On first boot with the new card, it came up OK, just defaulted back to 1024x768. So I altered the screen res back to 1280x1024 (native for my LCD screen) and restarted the session/xserver, and all looked great.

...until I logged out, shut the machine down, and came back the next day. The next day, I turned it on, and ended up at a text login prompt. I logged in as root, and used startx to open up the gui. On checking various setups in the 'Boot' section of MCC, under the Auto-login config, I found that the check box to start a graphical environment at system startup was unchecked. Checking it, makes the system work as normal, and it now presents the graphical login as normal.

Kind of a strange reaction to changing the video card?

What's documented in /var/log/xorg0.log ?

I don't know what to look for. There's lot's of things there, including a line that says - Chipset GeForce2 MX/MX 400 found (so maybe I was wrong about it being a 440).

Is there something in particular to look for? Also, which file? There's an Xorg.0.log and another with the extra extension .old and also an Xorg.9.log

Some nvidia cards, like my FX 5200 (which replaced an MX 440, which was the worst videocard I ever owned by far...) have big trouble working with xorg's "nv" driver (but they work fine with nvidia's proprietary one)- that's why I asked you browsing your xorg0.log for error messages.

You can browse the whole logfile a bit, normally the critical error messages are included in the last 20-25 lines of the logfile.

At the terminal type
XFdrake

then go through the process of adding your card etc.. also remember to agree to the gui starting on reboot. I think maybe when you changed your resolution you didnt tell it to restart on reboot (gui)

HTH

XFdrake is effectively what I ran (but from MCC) to change the resolution. The bit that changes the startup of GUI on reboot, is under a different button. I ONLY used the button that changes the resolution. It must have decided to turn off the GUI boot without telling me.

It's all OK now.

Some nvidia cards, like my FX 5200 (which replaced an MX 440, which was the worst videocard I ever owned by far...) have big trouble working with xorg's "nv" driver (but they work fine with nvidia's proprietary one)- that's why I asked you browsing your xorg0.log for error messages.

You can browse the whole logfile a bit, normally the critical error messages are included in the last 20-25 lines of the logfile.

There are no error messages. It now appears that it handled the new card cleanly, as I hoped it would, as it's the same driver. Looks like the GUI start on boot, got turned off when I changed the resolution. I know I didn't specifically change that, so it's a (minor) bug.

All is working fine now, thanks