Trouble with 2006 K menu

erratic

Hello, all. I just installed MDK 2006 pro (DVD) and am having problems keeping menu changes in KDE as I have in the last few MDK releases. I will make a change through menu drake, save it, and the change is made. If I need to go back to make more changes later, when I open menudrake, I am presented with the default menu. I have tried everything I could find reading other's posts/reply but have hade no luck. It seems to be an ongoing problem with many...disappearing menu, changes not staying changed.

Why cant Mandriva get the menu straightened out? And don't EVEN get me started on my PVR 250 TV card. Sorry for the rant, I have been trying to stay with MDK for the last several releases and am getting frustrated. Thanks for any help, is it very much appreciated.

In frustration, I went back to WinXP, but I realy want to be happy with Linux. Please help.

• 4 months later...

Fine, I've fixed it myself w/o ...anyway.

don't use any editor to edit your mandriva 2006 K menu. It may screw it up. Go to teh Control Center, click on system (on the left). select "applications menu layout..." on the top left. Edit the menu as system menu, not root. Warning, changes stay on your menu, but if you go back later to make more changes, you'll have to start over as it displays the default menu. Now about that pvr250...

• 3 months later...

I've been using the Mandriva Control Centre. That applies to system-wide menu changes. The right-click on the menu icon gets an editor to make user menu changes, which is the equivalent of System >Configuration >Other >MenuDrake.

What I have found is that you cannot permanently remove or move or change any of the Default settings in the system-wide menu. You can, however, add to that menu. Similarly, you can add to the user menu, which incorporates the system menu.

If I want to add to or repair anything on a system-wide basis I use the MCC first (system menu). Saving that also corrects or adds to the root menu but the reverse does not.

After making any changes to the system menu, I open Midnight Commander, and copy the file named "added by menudrake" to a safe place because it will be destroyed by the next step. That file contains additions which I've made to my user menu. The file is in /~/.menu.

Having backed up that file, I open the user menu editor and use File >Reload System Menu and save. I then copy the "added by menudrake" file back, overwriting the new file which has been written in its place. Then I use the command File >Reload System Config and save. Hey presto, I have my user submenu back and the changes made to the system menu have also been incorporated.

Edited by noranthon