Modem is good but no web

Guest Joe Noob

Guest Joe Noob

Well Ive got the pc card modem working ( ie. plugged it in and it worked) and Im oretty sure that KPPP is set up correctly cause It does log on and the little timer is running but I cant pull up any web pages. I checked the DNS set up and changed a few things but no go. I actually have 2 ISPs right now and tried both with the same results any clues?

Thanx

two qustions

1. is it 56k dial up?

2. when you instlled mandrake did you configure the network, because i have exactly the same prob if i configure the network, which is a bit of a bitch when you need to share your connection.

the way i use it if i did set up teh network is to go into mandrake control center, click on 'network & internet', 'connection', then in teh internet access section wait for it to check for a connection and when it doesnt click on 'connect' and this will bring up net monitor, then just connect using that!

Guest Joe Noob

It is 56k dial up but no I didnt set up a network. I dont think I have a network its a laptop and I wont be connecting to anything else, well besides a printer and scanner. I dont remember doing much else besides setting up KPPP last time but I think I did do something to some file. I try to print and save all the tutorials that I come across but the only thing I found was something about athentication and DNS. I'll try the net monitor thing.

Thanx

Guest Joe Noob

bvc good call on that noauth thing that was my problem last time with 8.2, I wish I had talked to you then, that no auth deal was a big thorn in my side but this time I found out that its shorewall . when I shut it down I bring up web pages no problem. So now I'll have to read up on that but if anyone has had the same problem or fix I'm all ears.

I recall having a problem like this one. Try changing the protocol that kppp assumes that your ISP is using. Off hand, I cannot recall what the menu options are to get there, but you have a choice of protocols, try using one of the others...

If that doesn't work, some ISPs have particular scripts that must run for the ISP to finish connecting. Call your ISPs service center and see if they support Linux. Many of the more professional ones will support multiple platforms like Win, MAC, Linux, Unix, BSD, etc.

Still another thing it could be is the serial port for the modem (even PCMCIA cards use a virual serial port to connect the modem) might be different from the one you've fed to kppp. Try changing that too.

Linux is actually faster at identifying my ISP and getting me into the browser than Windoze is. As soon as the carrier signals stop, I have access to browse. In Windoze, I have to wait like 30-40 seconds while Windoze figures out what's going on.

By they way, I really believe you really don't have to set up a network to use simple dial-up ISP service on a single Linux workstation. I never configured a network and was always able to use kppp. Additionally, you can avoid using the ISP set-up Wizard, it will not effect whether you can access your ISP through kppp.

OK, I'm at my Linux machine now, and the setting is for the particular dial-up you set up in kppp.

If you edit the dial-up account, you should check the Authentication protocol. My ISP uses PAP. You have the option to use PAP, CHAP, PAP/CHAP, script-based and a few others. Experiment.