MOVE on USB drive? [solved]

OldToker

Hi all,

Can someone shed some light on how to install MOVE on a USB drive? I have looked all over the net and even tried IRC but no body seems to know how to accomplish this..

either a good site on how to..

or please explain how to.. this would probably be-better since it could be a sticky here :)

Thanks in advance..

Really??? I guess my noobness is showing again.. I didn't know this would be possible, as it would constantly need to be transported from machine to machine.. I didn't think it was able to re-configure it's self from computer to computer..

At any rate.. what's the procedure?

Thanks again in advance.

As far as I know, it should be relatively simple. First off, the BIOS controls the boot order, so, providing your machine is able to allow booting from USB devices, you would set it to boot from the USB HDD before it selects the internal disks.

Then, you'd install your distro, be it LE2005 or 2006 in the usual manner. Then, providing you have another machine that allows booting from USB, you could then simply plug it in, alter the BIOS setting, and boot from the USB HDD.

I have a USB HDD, I just don't have the boot option in my BIOS to test it :P

As far as I know, it should be relatively simple.  First off, the BIOS controls the boot order, so, providing your machine is able to allow booting from USB devices, you would set it to boot from the USB HDD before it selects the internal disks.

Then, you'd install your distro, be it LE2005 or 2006 in the usual manner.  Then, providing you have another machine that allows booting from USB, you could then simply plug it in, alter the BIOS setting, and boot from the USB HDD.

I have a USB HDD, I just don't have the boot option in my BIOS to test it :P

Actually, for installation of 2005LE, there will be some tricks to get the process going. You have to use alt1 to get the process going. 2006 is the easiest. You don't have to change the BIOS to boot from USB. Just boot from CD-ROM if you have 2006 CD's. During the installation process, just choose the usb drive I think will be labeled as sdx depending on whether you have other scsi hard drives in your box. I installed 2005 LE on a system with usb1.1 without usb bootable ability but was not able to boot from the drive. You can install 2006 using a system with bootable usb option in the BIOS. After the installation, boot from the drive, and then from the command line type

#mkrescue -iso

Burn this image to a cdr and boot the system from a non-bootable usb system.

J.T.

P.S. you need to have LILO installed not GRUB in order to create a rescue disk.

Edited by crazyspongebob

• 1 month later...
OK, post back how you get on :P

Sorry took so long to get back to this.. work / School is killing my time and me :P anyway I got it installed.. but I need a bigger usb drive... 1 gb isn't enough to do what I wanted to do.. but 2006 is very easy to install.. the installer sees the usb drive and gives the option of installing to it :)

thanks for all the help.

you guys rock as always :drum: