Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse

I recently got a laptop and learned that my touch pad mouse was tough t work with. I purchased a MS optical notebook mouse that uses a usb wireless pickup. Worked fine in windows, but in linux it would only move on the verticle axis and any mouse clicks would cause it to move to the left! I googled to find I was not the only one having this problem.

So I waited and found this on Tuesday:

Upon boot, do

rmmod usbmouse

Then

insmod /lib/modules/2.6.12-12mdk/kernel/drivers/usb/input/usbmouse.ko.gz

I tried this, and it worked! Except, none of it was actually accepted (I was in MC and didn't see the results until I closed it) but now it works.

Anybody else mess with this?

Edit: I looked for changes in my xconf but nothing changed. Somehow, Mandriva adjusted to the mouse and made it work. I like that but would really like to know what was changed.

I tried using the touch pad and then plugged in the mouse, it still worked.

Hello Ixthusdan,

O yes I have tried to get my logitech MouseManPlus Optical Wireless with 6 buttons including the wheel to work for a long time in mdv 10.1 included all updates.

Connected to PS/2 port LB, MB and RB work but not the wheel and not the thumb button.

Connected to USB port: LB, MB, RB and wheel (up and down) (button 4 and 5) but Thumb button don't work.

I imagine I need to refer my kernel version in "insmod"????

By the way what command to use to get the kernel version?????

You didn't mention if your mouse is connected to PS/2 or USB port.

You can use the command line or in kde you can launch the desktop manager and look there. B)

I use usb. It was a toss up between the Logitech and the ms wireless mouse. Both are larger than the standard laptop add-on mouse. I read on 3 different linux sites posts about people experiencing the same problwm with the same mouse. I am glad mine works and I am sure it is the kernel and Mandriva's adjustments; I would just like to know how specifically it configured itself.

Hello

This is what I get:

[arne3@192 arne3]$ uname -a
Linux 192.168.1.1 2.6.8.1-12mdk #1 Fri Oct 1 12:53:41 CEST 2004 i686 Pentium II (Deschutes) unknown GNU/Linux
[arne3@192 arne3]$ su
Password:
[root@192 arne3]# rmmod usbmouse
[root@192 arne3]# insmod /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/kernel/drivers/usb/input/usbmouse.ko.gz
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/kernel/drivers/usb/input/usbmouse.ko.gz': -1 Invalid module format

Whats wrong?

Verify that the file exists in the directory. If you changed the kernel, you may have to make mods against the new sources since the existing modules are for a different kernel.

Of course it's confusing!

Did you try the mouse again? Also, just do "insmod usbmouse" and see if it works. I am guessing here. Your machine actually removed the module. Mine didn't even do that. There are some differences between 2006 and 10.1 which are significant.

The mouse connected to USB port work as before, no Thumb button recognized by "xev"

/dev/usbmouse exist. even I didn't run "insmod usbmouse"

I believe the reboot fixed it, as reboot often do.

I am installing 2006 on my desktop in dual boot with XP and I will remember this trick.