System Updates Startup-Script [solved]

I had an idea (don't worry, didn't hurt that much :P ), about a script to run at startup to something along the lines of the following:

urpmi.update -a
urpmi --auto-select --auto

I realise I could log into the system and then just run this manually, is there any way I could get it to run once the system is up-and-running, but without login. And if so, where would be by best place to stash it?

What I'm intending to do is just get the system up-to-date with security updates, etc. So maybe the --auto-select --auto isn't the correct parameter I would be wanting to use. Although this would ensure that completely everything is up-to-date.

Idea's very much appreciated.

Nice one! Does it matter what I name the file and where I store it? I found a /etc/cron.daily directory, would this be the place for it?

Is it just a case of storing in the directory, and then the job get's run?

One more thing, which log file would I need to check to see that the update and or job/run was successful.

Dude normally, when a cron job is completed, the error message (if available) and the output of the cron job is mailed to the root.

You can check it out by viewing /etc/crontab

there'll be something listed like

SHELL=/bin/bash

PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

MAILTO=root

HOME=/

Further log files can be found at /var/log/cron and /var/log/messages

:cheesy:

Dude normally, when a cron job is completed, the error message (if available) and the output of the cron job is mailed to the root.

You can check it out by viewing /etc/crontab

there'll be something listed like

SHELL=/bin/bash

PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

MAILTO=root

HOME=/

i'd like to add, make sure postfix runs on your system and alias root to your regular email account in order for you to recieve that email on that regular email acct of yours... or you can directly replace the part..

ex..

MAILTO=ian74@yourmail.com

Cool, I got postfix configured and running too, so that should all be OK.

If the alias isn't pointed to my account, I presume it will just stay in the root mailbox anyhow? This is OK, since I can check it through webmin.

Actually, I decided to change it :P

I went into webmin, then postfix and mail aliases, and changed root from pointing to postfix, to pointing to my user id instead.