Gnome desktop icons problems

Guest skip1

Hey,

I've got mandrake 9.0 installed and i've got a problem with the desktop icons in gnome. When i log on as myself ('jamie') and gnome loads, the desktop icons (home, removable media etc) don't usually appear for 5 minutes or more!!! I read on another board it might be something to do with unneccesary servers being installed, so I've removed most of them, but still get the same prob.

I also don't get sound in gnome. Everything works fine in KDE tho. Do you know why this is happening?

Also, do you know why the games shipped with mandrake 9.0 play soooo slooowwww? Its all jerky and laggy.

Thanks in advance 4 any help u can give!!!!

BTW my spec is:

Dual boot Win98se and Mandrake Linux 9.0

350 Psu

MSI KT3 Ultra2 6380E Motherboard

AC97 ALC650 onboard 6 channel audio

AMD Athton XP 2200 @ 1.8Ghz

256MB DDR 184 pin Ram (1 dimm @ slot 3)

Maxtor 40GB Hard disk (boot, 10Gb partition for mandrake)

Excelstor 10Gb Hard Disk (Media only)

CD-RW 52x

DVD-ROM 12x

nVidia GeForce2 64MB AGP graphics card

methinks its not a hardware problem!!

for the hardware, have you installed the nvidia drivers? if not you will have to do that, for the games. (is the game tux racer btw?)

as for the icons, does it do the same in kde, if not, switch to the 'K'!

yup the nvidia drivers are installed. The nVidia card i have should be more than adequate to handle simple games like tux racer and that little spaceship shooter one etc.

The icons (and everything else!) seem to fine in KDE, so it looks like i'll have to change to the 'K'!! Its a pain in the arse that KDE is the only one that works properly.

I also don't get sound in gnome. Everything works fine in KDE tho. Do you know why this is happening?
Is esd running? In a terminal do

ps auxf

or

ps -A

and look for esd. Or just run

esd

from the terminal and it'll either beep when loading, or give an error that it's already running.

Somewhere, (been a while) in the gnome control center-via sound in the menu there's an option to, or not to run the sound server a startup. You could also look in gconf-editor. If installed, it's in the advanced menu, or type gconf-editor in a term. When open, go to-desktop>gnome>sound.

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ rpm -q gconf-editor

gconf-editor-0.3-1mdk

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ which gconf-editor

/usr/bin/gconf-editor

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ gconf-editor