Simply Mandriva 2006 ...

fahd

Mandriva Linux 2006 is the best package Mandriva has ever made. This excellent stuff excels in two major aspects. The first is the convenience (look-and-feel, use-of-use, simplicity) with Lycoris assets, the second one is the hardware support. No doubt that there is not, and will never be a perfect software, thus Mandriva Linux would not be exception. But I still feel that -as Mandriva 2006 and cooker user as well-, there is something freaky in this package causing kded error and cpu high(over) load. Another weird thing is Adobe package. When I execute the command acroread (acroread7) I realize that acrobat reader heads back to the prompt. Once again there is another error. I uninstalled Adobe 7, and reinstall it without any error. But when I gave the same command acroraed I get the same resault. Since I have already met this problem in cooker I decided to download AdobeReader_enu-7.0.1-1.i386.rpm from SuSE FTP server. Believe it or not the problem has been suddenly solved. Don't ask me how this could happen. I wonder why Mandriva released this version before bugfixing it. Is not it realistic? Hopefully Mandriva will recognize sooner that, selling a product needs more efforts to create a relatively bug-free, thus stable and reliable stuff. Maybe the unique solution is to EXTEND the development period, say 12 or 18 months. Nevertheless Mandriva Linux would be a great linux stuff for all of us as linux fans as long as Mandriva it self is convinced of making hard work to improve and push Mandriva Linux forward.

Fahd

That oddness with kded is most likely caused by Kat. If you have it installed then get rid of it. As shown in other posts it causes more trouble than it is worth. It is a bigtime CPU hog.

Mandrivas mistake was to make this package one of the semi default installs for something that is a good idea but totally unproven and not fully developed.

Cheers. John