2006 mount point for DVD

Guest keepitsimpleengr1

Guest keepitsimpleengr1

Installed 2006 from DVD on Pentium box. Every thing went very smooth. Hung at LILO install, but restart worked fine.

After install tried to install printers, but 2006 wants the DVD mounted on a CD-ROM instead of the DVD.

I have DVD writer, CD writer and DVD/CD-ROM, but only the DVD writer will read the 2006 DVD. :cry:

:help: How or can you change the installation mount point? Fix or workaround?

I imagine that you have the cdrom device installed ahead of the DVD reader/burner.

You can install with the DVD reader in any position but later when the OS wants you to insert a disk it asks you to in insert it in the first optical device detected and if that happened to be the cdrom then you can see the problem.

There may be other complicated methods to fix the problem but any time you do a reinstall then the problem has to be fixed again.

For me, the simplest way is to rearrange the optical drives so that the DVD reader or DVDburner is first in the line up of optical devices. Remember the full ide line up is Primary Master then Primary Slave then Secondry Master followed by Secondry Slave. Note that Primary Slave is AHEAD of Secondry Master.

If you have a single HardDrive then it will be on Primary Master so a DVD reader or DVD burner (which obviously can read as well) should be on Primary Slave and the others arranged any way you like.

Hope this helps.

Cheers. John.

Edit /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg as root. This file contains the description of each installation media source. But what AussieJohn wrote in this case is true. You have to do it again everytime you make a clean install, well until Mandriva is using urpmi as the default software manager. But it takes about 2 minutes so it's not that scary.

Guest keepitsimpleengr1
......the simplest way is to rearrange the optical drives so that the DVD reader or DVDburner is first in the line up of optical devices. Remember the full ide line up is Primary Master then Primary Slave then Secondry Master followed by Secondry Slave. .....

Cheers.                            John.

Thanks John...

I'm lucky that the IDE Hard drives are on a separate controller, so I just swapped the DVD burner and the CD burner, left the DVD-rom where it was. I'm unlucky that the swap caused the DVD-rom not to be recognized, :pc: not to mention mucking up all the logical drive assignments in the Windows side dual boot. Cannot use this cause the box is used to earn a living.

Cheers is what we say up here when we raise a glass among friends. :beer: Cheers! John.

Guest keepitsimpleengr1
Edit /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg as root. This file contains the description of each installation media source. But what AussieJohn wrote in this case is true. You have to do it again everytime you make a clean install, well until Mandriva is using urpmi as the default software manager. But it takes about 2 minutes so it's not that scary.

:thumbs:

This is exactly what I needed. THANKS.

I use and and maintain four Linux servers (firewall, databases and application server) since the mid-ninties, but I haven't been able to get the Linux desktop up and running on my workstation (Came close with SUSE 7). Editing a config file is too easy, if you know which one.

I would really, really, really like an alternative to Windows.

By the way, where would you find out such information, if you aren't able to be involved in the development for the Desktop?

larry.j :geek: