can't burn cd's with 2006 [solved]

polemicz

I have done two installations of 2006, one an update via urpmi and the other a clean install of rc2 followed by setting all mirrors to official and doing a complete update.

On each machine I am unable to burn cd's, either with cdrecord or k3b. I had no such problems on 2005LE or any previous systems.

I ran cdrecord --scanbus and it returned with a warning "controller returns wrong size for cd capabilities page."

k3b returns errors "cannot do mlockall(2)" and "cannot set RR scheduler."

My burner is a Plextor and it has given me no problems. On the fresh install system (my son's) XP is also installed. XP burns without a problem.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Edited by polemicz

Here's a message that might apply from the 2006 Release Notes page at http://qa.mandriva.com/twiki/bin/view/Main...006ReleaseNotes

Plextor burner

For security reasons the program to burn CD or DVD (cdrecord) is not run with administrator privileges (suid root). However it appears that for some Plextor burners, the cdrecord binary has to be suid root in order to be able to burn. If you cannot burn with your Plextor burner (and potentially other brands), try to give suid root privileges to the cdrecord binary: chmod 4755 /usr/bin/cdrecord