installing Mandriva 2006 in VMWare 4.5

Guest stax

Hi,

I just installed Mandriva 2006 in VMWare 4.5 using ftp install and Win XP as host. I'm new to Linux so I'm glad everything worked. I'm facing however to install the VMWare tools and as a Linux beginner I'm totally clueless how to do this. I could use some advice, tips, tutorials or at least some good wishes. I'm quite good on Windows but that won't help much I guess.

Regards,

stax

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

It's pretty easy.

All you need to do is right click the entry in VMware, then choose the Install VMware tools. Then go to the CD-ROM in KDE/Gnome and install the rpm package listed.

Then you'll need to run vmware-config-tools from the prompt (think that's what it's called - located in /usr/bin).

That'll then configure it all for you, reboot, and you're all done!

PS - Welcome to the board :beer:

Thanks, for the welcome. I'm afraid it's not that easy for a beginner. When I remember right then rpm packages have rpm as file extension. I did find some some file in the CD from VMWare but it did not have a rpm extension, it was some kind of file archieve, I don't remember the extension because I'm not familiar yet with Linux file archieves, it was tar or bz or something like that.

The documentation tells however:

"With a Mandrake Linux 9.2 guest, you should install VMware Tools from the Linux console. Do not start X until you have installed VMware Tools."

If this is true then I would need Mandrake without the X, I don't know how to get that. Assuming I would figure out how to to get a system without X then I would have a console where I would be pretty much clueless what to type. I wouldn't even know how to get to the CD drive and how to unpack the archieve, I would face many problems, I wish I would have more time, without expert console skills I'll getting nowhere on Linux it seems.