OK, so now I have the 2.4.19-24 kernel, now what?

Guest 1on1

Now su to root, then type this in console

rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.19.24-1-1.mdk.i586.rpm

Then edit your /etc/lilo.conf to make sure everything is right. Then just to make sure, run lilo again by typing /sbin/lilo -v  

Hope it works.

Yeah I hope it works too. :D

I have always built my kernels from source in slackware, so this will be my first try using a pre compiled kernel.

From all that I have read about this, it looks like the way to go, just fix the broken symlinks. Run lilo again, reboot and enjoy the new updated kernel goodness. And, I have a working boot floppy, just in case. :)

The gory details are on this site: http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/kernelupdate.php .

Read the advisory so you know what kernel version to install; for instance if the filename is kernel-2.4.19.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm you will want to execute:

# urpmi kernel-2.4.19.24mdk

This will install the new kernel alongside any old kernels that are currently on your system. Next, edit the /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/menu.list file (depending upon your bootloader). Ensure that you will be able to boot your old kernel by making sure a stanza exists for it specifically. If this is your first kernel update on the system, you likely will have two stanzas that point to symlinks; the kernel installer always updates these to point to the latest vmlinuz and initrd.img files. Usually a copy and paste of the new kernel stanza and modifying the kernel number is all you will need. For instance, if the new kernel is 2.4.19-24mdk and the release kernel is 2.4.19-16mdk, copy the -24mdk stanza and replace -24mdk with -16mdk.

Once you have modified your lilo.conf or menu.lst file, execute "lilo -v" or "sh /boot/grub/install.sh", again depending upon your bootloader. Now you can reboot into the new kernel.

On the advisories page, there is a list of versions. Here is what it says about the kernel:

MandrakeSoft Security Advisory MDKSA-2003:014 : kernel

Package name kernel

Date February 5th, 2003

Advisory ID MDKSA-2003:014

Affected versions 9.0

Synopsis Updated kernel packages fix a number of bugs

Problem Description

An updated kernel for 9.0 is available with a number of bug fixes. Supermount has been completely overhauled and should be solid on all systems. Other fixes include XFS with high memory, a netfilter fix, a fix for Sony VAIO DMI, i845 should now work with UDMA, and new support for VIA C3 is included. Prism24 has been updated so it now works properly on HP laptops and a new ACPI is included, although it is disabled by default for broader compatibility.

This also fixes a security problem that allows non-root users to freeze the kernel, and a fix for a vulnerability in O_DIRECT handling that can create a limited information leak where any user on the system with write privilege to the file system from previously deleted files. This also allows users to create minor file system corruption (this can easily be repaired by fsck).

For instructions on how to update your kernel, please visit http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/kernelupdate.php

Updated Packages

Mandrake Linux 9.0

9.0/RPMS/kernel-2.4.19.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

9.0/RPMS/kernel-BOOT-2.4.19.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

9.0/RPMS/kernel-doc-2.4.19-24mdk.i586.rpm

9.0/RPMS/kernel-enterprise-2.4.19.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

9.0/RPMS/kernel-secure-2.4.19.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

9.0/RPMS/kernel-smp-2.4.19.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

9.0/RPMS/kernel-source-2.4.19-24mdk.i586.rpm

9.0/SRPMS/kernel-2.4.19.24mdk-1-1mdk.src.rpm

I removed the md5sum information but as you can see there is nothing to indicate which kernel you should be updating. Which newbie knows their kernel version? Which newbie knows about stanzas outside their literature course? Given that this discussion involves some of the most experienced users here makes me shake my head in sadness with the realization that with an approach to managing their distro like this, Mandrakesoft has little chance of making it to the six month mark.

Several weeks ago I read a cooker thread where a senior programmer was defending himself for not writing software like parts of Mandrake Control Center that resized with screen resolution complaining that they should try resizing GTK sometime. Of course everybody runs Mandrake on 19" monitors with 1024x768 resolution. If he had been working for me, I would have kicked his ass out the door and sent him his personal belongings by parcel post.

This is a sample of the continuing dialogues on the cooker list where volunteers try in vain to pry changes including submitting code from an intransigent group of Mandrakesoft programmers, even for designated bugzilla reports.

It is clear that the new CEO has not gotten around to these problems yet, and LeMarois and Duval have not been fired as they should be (or failing that given the job of midnight shift building maintenance). Its really too bad.

Counterspy

Given that this discussion involves some of the most experienced users here makes me shake my head in sadness with the realization that with an approach to managing their distro like this, Mandrakesoft has little chance of making it to the six month mark.

Installing the kernel package is very easy. The problem, especially for the new to Linux user is trying to figure out exactly what the heck needs to be edited in /etc/lilo.conf I have built quite a few kernels and it took me a while to figure out exactly what needed to be done.

Once I finally realized what those Mandrake URLs were trying to say it was smooth sailing. Fact is only my previous experience lead to the correct lilo solution, otherwise I would of been dead in the water so to speek. It is very easy to do. It's to bad that they for whatever reason can not explain this in plain english for the newest users. :(

If anyone is still trying to figure out how to properly install a mandrake V9 kernel package update, respond here. And I'll whip up a howto on how I did this in plain english.

And thanks for the help folks, I now have the 2.4.19-24mdksmp kernel properly installed, up and running.

Good luck Mandrake on making it to 2004. :cry:

What if you use Grub? Everyone here seems to talk only about Lilo, abandoned as "deprecated" (only a computer programmer could come with this usage) software by Redhat, like it or not, the most influential distro.

Is that really appropriate usage. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deprecate Dep"re*cate (d[e^]p"r[-e]*k[=a]t), v. t. [imp. & p.

p. Deprecated (-k[=a]`t[e^]d); p. pr. & vb. n.

Deprecating (-k[=a]`t[i^]ng).] [L. deprecatus, p. p. of

deprecari to avert by player, to deprecate; de- + precari to

pray. See Pray.]

To pray against, as an evil; to seek to avert by prayer; to

desire the removal of; to seek deliverance from; to express

deep regret for; to disapprove of strongly.

His purpose was deprecated by all round him, and he was

with difficulty induced to adandon it. --Sir W.

Scott.

Well I guess that there is a lot of praying going on at Mandrakesoft.

Counterspy

I removed the md5sum information but as you can see there is nothing to indicate which kernel you should be updating. Which newbie knows their kernel version? Which newbie knows about stanzas outside their literature course? Given that this discussion involves some of the most experienced users here makes me shake my head in sadness with the realization that with an approach to managing their distro like this, Mandrakesoft has little chance of making it to the six month mark.

While ur point is correct in general, u have overlooked an important fact:

kernel-2.4.19.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm for 1-CPU system with <= 1GB RAM

kernel-smp-2.4.19.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm can handle >= 2-CPU with <= 1GB RAM

kernel-enterprise-2.4.19.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm can handle >= 2-CPU and > 1GB RAM

kernel-secure-2.4.19.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm secure version of the kernel for 1-CPU and <= 1GB RAM

In addition to this there are lots of details about the other kernel rpms which do not belong in the update page.

The way out is to run Mandrake Control Center and do a serach for software update and that will only tell u what existing rpms to upgrade. So only the relevent kernel rpms that need to be upgraded will show up. U can download only those rpms and install them.

However, beware that mandrake's naming system is very screwed up. The rpm kernel-headers (often confused with the kernel-source rpm) should be instead called glibc-kernheaders because this rpm is generated from the glibc SRPM. Redhat had the same wrong name but they rectified their mistake in redhat-8.0. Mandrake lagged behind as they did not rectify it in their 9.0 release. Anybody knows if they have done it in 9.1 ?